1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround Speakers Distortion Problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cmh1967, Feb 26, 2005.

1. cmh1967

cmh1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently upgraded my Acoustic Solutions DS533 to the DS1133, i have always been happy with the sound of the DS533 but wanted DTS and a bit more sound power. Well, to say i'm dissapointed with Pro Logic II is an understatement, the amp is connected to my Sky+ box via an optical lead. When listening to spoken dialogue there is constant distortion of the dialogue through surround speakers, centre speaker doesn't suffer. The distortion wasn't evident on the cheaper DS533 system and isn't evident when music put through surrounds or during DVD playback. Am i expexting too much from PL2 or is the unit faulty. I know it isn't top of the range kit, but for twice the money of the DS533 i was expecting much improved sound, which isn't the case. Any advise what can be causing the distortion would be very much appreciated. I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who has a DS1133 which is performing ok, would appreciate advise on how you've got it set up.

Thanks In Advance Chris

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    When you say distortion, do you mean the sound coming out of the surround speakers is distorted or that dialog leaks through?

Dolby Pro Logic II may cause leakage of dialog sibliants to become more audible, since it does not filter out frequencies above 7kHz from the surround output like Dolby Pro Logic does. There shouldn't be objectionable leakage of dialog into the surround channels though, so long as the speaker levels and distances/delay times are set up correctly, and the broadcast source is good quality.

When listening to TV sound, try setting the Pro Logic II mode to Movie mode, as Music mode behaves differently in many ways.

Pro Logic II is not perfect, but it shouldn't be as bad as given by your description.

3. cmh1967

cmh1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zacabeb, Many thanks for your informative reply. The distortion is what can be best described as "martian" like distortion of the dialogue through the surround speakers, it is most noticable on the news channels . It is still evident on the PL2 movie mode, i have tried adjusting settings without success. Either the Pl2 decoder isn't functioning as it should or i am missing something , very puzzled.. Chris

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I've noticed the same thing on my old Marantz 7300 and on my Pioneer. I don't think your equipment is faulty, it's just that PL2 has a hard time working out what is front only and what can be used as surround. Try Neo modes if you have that option.

5. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've tried listening to the surround channels alone on my Yamaha RX-V2500 in Dolby Pro Logic II now, and I get the same kinds of artifacts. On some stereo programming, either some speech comes through with a very phased sound, which indeed sounds "martian", or only part of it creating a distorted, kazoo-like sound.

I guess this might become quite audible if the surround speakers are close to the listening position, which increases the mismatching of speaker levels when sitting away from the spot from where you adjusted the speaker levels. If the surround speakers are placed near the listening position, try moving them apart a bit and also try raising them on their stands to above ear level, which will diffuse the sound a bit.

6. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    i have PLII on my yamaha 750 and dont get any of these artifacts. The rears are approximately 2feet from my head too! Personally i think PLII is amasing, the rear channel stearing in some films blows me away...

7. fatal-infection

fatal-infection

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I had the exact same problem untill i replace my optical cable with a much higher quality one. That sorted the problem out on 99.9% of the channels. Just one channel on sky does it every onw and then and thats Dave.

8. fatal-infection

fatal-infection

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Yeah i had the same problem untill i replaced my optical cable with a much higher quality one and that sorted it out on 99.9% of the channels