• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

surround speakers : Dali Oberon or Dali Spektor ?

d88

Standard Member
Hi, this is my first post on this forum so please go gently !

Over the last few years I've been assembling bit's and pieces for my home system, namely

Sony str-dn1080 (which I hope to upgrade next year),
Dali Oberon 5's, floor standers,
Dali Oberon Vokal for centre
Dali Alteco C-1 as up/down-firing speaker, which I recently acquired.

I can't use a subwoofer due to restraints on the building and annoying the neighbours.

The missing part is surround rear speakers, with the natural choice being Dali Oberon's standmount's to complement the rest, however, is this a bit overkill ? Would Dali Spektor 1 or 2's be good enough for what would be their only use, rear surround duties or would the Oberon1 or 3's offer substantially more in terms of quality of output to justify the price difference?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
You could also look Zensors 2nd hand. Either Zensor 1 or Zensor Pico. This if you want to save some cash.

Spektor range is cheaper than Zensor/Oberon although they would work perfectly fine as surrounds channels. Clearly you want to match the finish and also consider the size. Zensor 1 is larger than Spektor 1, but smaller than Spektor 2s.

Shame to hear you can´t have subwoofer. You missing quite a lot. Hope you looking new place too. :)

PS. As you are talking about back speakers in 5.1 system they should be more on the sides than directly behind you. Surround back channels are in 7.1 system. Make sure you connect the speakers to surround l/r, not surround back l/r. See the correct angles below. Of course you will have them the way is possible. If you do have "free hands" and space then you know what to do.

d88

Standard Member
Hi, thanks for the response.

The Pico's would be ideal size wise, unfortunately, I can't find any in a walnut finish to complement the rest of my speaker's. Pity they are discontinued.

I suppose I'm really just double guessing myself a bit, in that although the Oberon 1's would be the natural fit, as surround speaker's, would the Spektor 1/Zensor Pico do just as a good job? Although cost of course is a factor, that comes after the performance required of the unit and the size of the speaker.

As for the Sub... I may get one to try out. The Dali's 5's do an acceptable job in that regard but I agree, the sub would add another (welcome) layer to the sound profile. Finally thanks, I take note of the speaker placement guide.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi, thanks for the response.

The Pico's would be ideal size wise, unfortunately, I can't find any in a walnut finish to complement the rest of my speaker's. Pity they are discontinued.

I suppose I'm really just double guessing myself a bit, in that although the Oberon 1's would be the natural fit, as surround speaker's, would the Spektor 1/Zensor Pico do just as a good job? Although cost of course is a factor, that comes after the performance required of the unit and the size of the speaker.

As for the Sub... I may get one to try out. The Dali's 5's do an acceptable job in that regard but I agree, the sub would add another (welcome) layer to the sound profile. Finally thanks, I take note of the speaker placement guide.

Yes, Spektor 1 has same tweeter and mid-bass driver and tweeter waveguide as in your Alteco C1s. So either of those Spektor models would do fine!

Make new thread on subwoofer section when the time is right and try to save +300£ if possible so you get some quality product. No need to buy any speaker manufacturer woofer! We can look something good for you that suites the room decor (wife) too. Clearly your system would sound even better with sub as you don´t have to run the 5s as full range anymore. And just using the sub at certain times with the fact that you are in control how loud it plays.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom