Surround speakers - big or small?

benwolf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am planning to upgrade my surround speakers (I'm currently using some surround speakers from an old AIO system) and add 2 rear speakers to make a 7.1 setup. My room is 20' x 12'.

I have large fronts (MS 906i), centre (MS 905i) and sub (MS 309). What would you recommend for the 4 surround speakers?

I was thinking of the 902is but these are bookshelf speakers and to have 4 of them at the back of the room seems a little excessive given that most of the sound comes from the front. Instead, I am now thinking that I should get four 302's.

What will I be losing by having the smaller speakers? Is the benefit of having the larger speakers worth the extra cost and space they take up?

Thanks, Benwolf.

Hi all,

I am planning to upgrade my surround speakers (I'm currently using some surround speakers from an old AIO system) and add 2 rear speakers to make a 7.1 setup. My room is 20' x 12'.

I have large fronts (MS 906i), centre (MS 905i) and sub (MS 309). What would you recommend for the 4 surround speakers?

I was thinking of the 902is but these are bookshelf speakers and to have 4 of them at the back of the room seems a little excessive given that most of the sound comes from the front. Instead, I am now thinking that I should get four 302's.

What will I be losing by having the smaller speakers? Is the benefit of having the larger speakers worth the extra cost and space they take up?

Thanks, Benwolf.

Personally, unless you can find a pair of floorstanding speakers that can do bass better than your sub (unlikely) then I would get the smaller 902i's.

I already have fronts and centre speakers - I'm looking for opinions on the size of the surround and rear surround speakers.

My options were both bookshelf speakers:

MS 902i - large bookshelf speakers (290 x 165 x 265) £150/pair
MS 302 - small bookshelf speakers (175 x 107 x 145) £70/pair

I want to buy 4 speakers to fill the left surround, right surround, rear left surround and rear right surround positions in a 7.1 setup. I already have fronts, centre and sub.

Questions:
What would the difference be having the smaller speakers over the larger ones?
How will this affect the listening experience?
In your opinion, is the extra cost/space required worth having the larger speakers?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom