Surround Speaker sitting on sub - How bad?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Mark Ward, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm now using an M&K V75 Mark II sub in my room, ther very best place in the room to place it (without requiring a 15m phono lead trailed around the room) requires that the Kef TDM34DS surround sits directly on top of it.

I've tried it for a couple of days and it all sounds great, but will I do any damage to the surround by placing driectly on the sub for prolonged periods?

Thanks for any advice,

Mark.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I take it it's not sitting directly on top of the sub? If it is I suspect that is quite low down, which is not ideal.

This should not be a problem though, M&K make brackets for their subs to allow you to put equipment racks and speaker brackets on them.

Just make sure your sub is wll footed, spiked ideally and level.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    How tall is your sub!? Just wondering, because ideally the rears are about 1.8 meter above carpet ...

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Reiner

Unfortunately the words "Ideal" and "Room" only fit in the same sentence when "Is Not" is placed between them for me.

The Sub is on a plinth and the combined height of the Sub & Plinth is only 600mm. Therefore the surrounds are around ear height.

That said, it sounds pretty damned good! I know it would be better with the extra height but I just don't have the option in this room. It's not my intention to be in this room for ever so I make do as best I can.

The TDM is currently sitting directly on the M&K V-75 Mark II sub, separated only by little bits of Blu-Tac. I REALLY like this sub and if I want to keep it it's the only postitoning solution I have open to me. The other option is to go for a Rel150 or B&W2500 "Mini" sub. I posted a message asking if anyone had compared these two but it would appear no-one has.

Cheers,

Mark.