1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

surround speaker query

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by braincapers, Jan 2, 2004.

1. braincapers

braincapers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First time post - I hope somebody can advise.

I have an av amp and DVD player that I'm happy-ish with. I want to stay with separates so I can upgrade to SACD multichannel later. I have a pair of eltax floorstanders that I'm also content with.

I want to go to surround sound. My budget is probably up to £500. If I assume 200-250 for the SACD I will have a couple of hundred quid to spend on speakers. My worry is that a speaker package may be excellent for surround sound but not for (stereo)music.

My question is how to upgrade:
    1. Is there a good speaker package? - I wonderd about the Tannoy FX5.1
    2. Is there a good all in one? - maybe the Pioneer NSDV99 (I'm including my DVD replacement budget in this.)
    3. Am I best buying four extra speakers with my budget. If so any reccomendations?

One further thing - this is all subject to wifely veto and she hates large speakers, so if I keep the floorstanders all the extra will have to be discrete.

Thanks.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you are happy with your Eltax floorstanders, why not buy a centre and two rear speakers from the same range which should match your existing pair tonally.

Another consideration for you is to think about selling your DVD Player and replacing it with a Pioneer that will play DVDA and SACD as well as regular DVDs

3. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Agree with Ians suggestion, although the fact you mention 'discrete' bothers me...

If you are happy with your Eltax's for their current stereo abilities, then there is no reason to replace them. The addition of a center, rears and sub would get you surround, however 'discrete' would be difficult...

For discrete, something like the Mission Fs1 / Tannoy FX package 's would be ideal, however although they offer excellent movie viewing, stereo playback is not what they were made to do...

As Ian said, stick with Eltax especially for the centre...

The DVD / SACD part is easy, Pioneer 565 : £190 (roughly)

4. braincapers

braincapers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips. Yes I would like to keep the Eltaxs and buy the Pioneer but the problem is finding small rear/centre speakers that would clash with /get lost against the floorstanders. thanks again.

5. braincapers

braincapers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the end I blew all my budget on the speakers and the DVD/AV upgrades will have to wait. I went Sevenoaks in Croydon and demoed the Kef 2005.2. They also threw in the stands 'free' when I bought the speakers.

6. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Good purchase, I always take the attitude 'buy the best you can afford'...

In the long run the extra cost more than pays for itself, especially if its quality...