1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround speaker positioning - this advice is wrong, isn't it?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by FlimsyFeet, Dec 31, 2003.

1. FlimsyFeet

FlimsyFeet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Now I know for Dolby Pro Logic the surround speakers should be positioned 2-3 feet above ear level, so the sound is less directional. I always assumed it was the same for Dolby Digital 5.1?

2. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I think it depends on how far the surround speakers are away from the listening postition. If they're say 10 feet away, then ear level would be fine. But for most domestic situations, a few feet above ear level is preferable because you'll have more diffused and less direct sound. That's all MHO and by no means the accepted standard. But if you look at any cinema, you'll notice that the side surround speakers are mounted fairly high up.

3. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have tallish stands for my rear speakers, as at present, i have slanted walls and obviously impossible to wall mount them.
    Although does anyone has a link to any really tall stands?, ie above ear level, then that would be great.
    fred

4. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have my surrounds about 3 feet above listening level. This is within the boundry's of Dolby Labs reccommended positioning for Dolby Digital setups. I am more than happy with my surround sound in DD or DTS but I do always feel that I'm not hearing as much surround as I would like in Dolby PL/PL2.