Surround Speaker Placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sjuggins, Mar 13, 2006.

1. sjuggins

sjuggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Little bit of advice needed please.

I've just purchased my new AV kit and I'm in the process of putting the speakers up. I've come across a small problem with the front surrounds and where they are aimed.

If you look at the attached JPG you'll see that all of the speakers should be ok except the front right one which is firing towards the arm of my sofa (indicated by the dotted lines). The problem I have is due the brackets which wont allow me to aim them any further towards the centre of my sofa. Ideally I would move the speakers but the missus wants them out of the way so to speak so this is where they have to stay.

Will this cause any major quality issues? Any other recommendations for the other speakers?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Shouldn't be a big issue really, but you would have to try it to be sure. For films it should be fine, but if you like music this will probably cause a whole in the middle effect due to the distance apart.

3. scooter3

scooter3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Agree with Clarky, shouldn't be a problem with movies but you will have a problem with sound stage in stereo. Use some of the processing modes for stereo listening to fill in the hole in the middle. With most home cinema speaker positioning is a compromise between optimum position, where you want to put everything and SWMBO.