1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround Speaker placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dvdsubtitles, Aug 20, 2004.

1. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

At the moment I just have my tv connected to a stereo amp with a pair of Mission m71s on stands. I'm considering my options in upgrading to a full surround speaker system and AV Receiver. I'm pretty new to surround systems.

My living room is perfectly rectangular, approx 5m by 3.5m. The tv is right in the middle of one long (5m) wall and the sofa is exactly opposite, right in the middle of the opposite wall. This gives an ideal viewing position without taking up space in the room (if the tv was against the short wall the the sofa would need to be in the middle of the room - not ideal).

My idea is to purchase a set of the mission surround speakers (the dipole ones - M3DS?) and put them high up on the side walls towards the back of the room. Would this work? They'd be relatively far away, because of the orientation of the room. Also they wouldn't be behind the sofa, proabbly in front slightly because I don't think I'm supposed to put them too close to the corner. Would a good AV Receiver be able to compensate for all this? Also, are there any alternative speaker placement solutions I should consider?

Many thanks,
    Mat.

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If your putting them on the side walls then they should be roughly level with your sitting position but about 2 metres from the floor, if you cant acheive this then its best you have them on the back wall :thumbsup:

3. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats what I was thinking. But this would mean they are practically in the corners (half a foot away from the back wall). As they're dipoles, would it be better to put them flat on the rear wall either side of the sofa? still 2m above the floor? Would this give them "more room to breathe"? I say "as they're dipoles" because I understand these are generally more flexible than normal speakers, which normally need to be pointing at the listener?

Cheers,
    Mat

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470