1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

surround speaker placement?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mickey, Feb 1, 2004.

1. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Hi guys, Just decided to upgrade my aging one box h/cinema system to a slightly better one, the sub/sat system is a tannoy fx5.1 so the speakers are small but powerful being driven by a yamaha 740 amp, my question is if i have a wall 5 mtrs across and a kp44 projection tv in the centre of said wall could i actually have the front left and right speakers right in the corners of the wall or would that be too far apart for the dolby soundstage, PS the sub/sat will not be used as my cd listening speakers. cheers for any advice guys

2. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    As far as I know, the recommended distance for your front speakers from your TV should be no more than 1.5 metres either side.
    I'm sure someone will come along shortly and tell me if I'm wrong though :).

3. mralsal

mralsal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The distance of the speakers from your screen is not important but the angle between the two speakers from your sitting position is. The left and right should be at 45 degrees between each other as seen from the center seating position.

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Depends on the speaker & the room. Experiment with toe-in to see which suits your ears best. There is no hard-and-fast rule in my experience.

5. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Recommended is 45 - 60 degrees between left/right front speakers, as seen from listening position.

See also the Dolby site: http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTheater.0110.html#s1.4

Remember that their surround speaker positions are the ones for a 5.1/7.1 system, not a regular 5.1 system! Surrounds for a normal 5.1 system should (given the space) be behind you, with maybe something like a 90 degree angle between them - I don't remember exactly. This way you cannot locate them too much in the soundfield. Dolby's recommendation with the speakers next to you is for diffuse (dipole, ..) speakers.

Good luck setting up your system! :)