Surround speaker placement with wooden ceiling beams?

ozthegweat

I'm setting up a new 5.1 surround system (no Atmos) for gaming and movies, and I need to place the two surround speakers high up, between the wooden beams in the ceiling, as there's no wall on one side (open floor plan). See the attached photo (actually shot from the main listening position) of where the left surround speaker would need to be placed.

The height of the speakers would be about 2.6m/8.5ft. With regard to the angle, I'm limited to four positions where to install the speakers because of the crossbeams:
  • position 1: 103 degrees
  • position 2: 120 degrees
  • position 3: 132 degrees
  • position 4: 141 degrees
See the attached floor plan as well (the bottom row of positions in the floor plan are the ones in the photo).

So my questions are:
  1. Which position should I choose? Recommendend is 110-120 degress, and I'm thinking with the surrounds being so high up, it would probably be better to place them more towards 120 than 110 degrees? Which is why I prefer position 2 at the moment.
  2. While I think position 4 would be suboptimal, the missus would prefer that (less cable trunking). How much worse would the experience be?
  3. Where should the surrounds point? I know they should be pointed directly at the main listening position, but is that still true even when not at ear height? Is there some way to make them sound lower? Here are the options I'm contemplating:
    • pointed at the main listening position
    • pointed 2-3 feet in front of the main listening position
    • pointed at each other, horizontally
    • pointed at each other, but tilted down
    • pointed straight down at the floor
What do you all think? Thank you in advance for your answers! :)

surround-speaker-placement-photo.jpeg

surround-speaker-placement-floorplan.png

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Layout - see 5.1 Virtual Speaker Setup

Surround speakers - Poss.1 looks ideal, aim 'across' the seating, you could direct them at the MLP with a degree of downward tilt; if you can use an adjustable speaker bracket I would leave yourself the ability to experiment with the angles.

Joe

Upvote 0

ozthegweat

Layout - see 5.1 Virtual Speaker Setup

Surround speakers - Poss.1 looks ideal, aim 'across' the seating, you could direct them at the MLP with a degree of downward tilt; if you can use an adjustable speaker bracket I would leave yourself the ability to experiment with the angles.

Joe
Thanks for your reply.

May I ask why you go for position 1, even though it's too far forward for the recommended 110-120 degree range (also mentioned in that link you posted), and not position 2 which would fall within that range?

So you would aim them towards the MLP, but not angled so far down as to point directly at the MLP but higher, like if I was standing at the MLP?

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom