Surround Speaker placement with two rows of seats?

JustinT350

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Morning all, I'm hoping this will be a fairly easy problem to solve, but I'm trying to figure out the best place to have my surround speakers? I'm finding some films, I'm not hearing a great surround sound from the rear.

I have two rows of seats, and currently the surrounds sit just beside the rear row, pointing towards the MLP. Should these be higher up, or even closer towards the MLP?

As you can see, they are pointing at the back of my front row headrests. Or would they be better nearer the radiator? Pointing between the two rows?

IMG_20201012_102049.jpg

Place them best for the MLP.

Is it a 5.1 setup?
If so, place them a feet or 2 above the MLP head and no further forward than to the sides.

Great thanks. Yes it's 5.1

So just behind the front seats, and pointing at each other? Or pointing towards the MLP?

MLP being the middle front seat

They should be to the side or slightly behind but not in front and they should be angled so they aim above the MLPs head.

In an atmos setup they rears should be lower than in a 5.1 setup.

If you get a spare couple of hours then just try them in several different positions to see what works best for your room/seating position.

I have just literally spent a month moving my rear speakers around and built some (rough) wood stands so I could adjust the height etc and position before putting the brackets on the wall and burying the cables!

If that was my room with 6 seats I'd seriously be looking at some tri-pole speakers on the side walls and either another set at the rear or some flat panel speakers on the rear. You should then get a nice wrap around effect in pretty much all seating positions.

As password has said if you've got or going atmos then the rears will need to be lower than a conventional 5.1 / 7.1 layout. In my system I found that the rear sides worked best at around 2" above my seated ear level...I did try them higher up but seemed to miss out on quite a bit of detail with them firing over my listening position.

You've obviously spent some money making that room look nice so worth taking a bit of time getting the sound right

Thanks Arcam, sorry I didn't realise you had replied.

You're right, I might aswell at least put in effort, if not a bit more money to get the sound right. The room doubles as a living room so I can't go too over the top with ceiling speakers etc.

I am tempted when I next get the upgrade itch to go for a 7.1.2 type arrangement but using upfiring speakers for atmos. I'll have a play around with speaker position and report back

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom