1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround Speaker placement problems with Dipoles

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Edgeyboy, Jun 15, 2001.

1. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    My KEF dipoles are set up on the side walls as per guidelines etc, set up with an SPL meter.
    However, the room is narrow (3m), which mean one is sitting almost underneath the dipole.
    They are mounted 2ft above head height.

I feel the surround experience is not ideal in this circumstance as was thinking of trying an in-ceiling or tripole model.

Would the kEF inceilings work oK with the rest of the KEF package ?

Any (constrcuctive) comments ?

The package is the KEF THX one.

Tom

2. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi Tom
    I also have the Kef THX package and recently added a pair of CI200QT motorised in ceiling speakers, which as soon as I have my ceiling lowered will use for my surround back channel. I was fortunate to get a demo of them as the majority of dealers don't stock them. I heard them with a Denon A1SE which was playing gladiator in DTS discrete. Then I listened to The Fifth Element in the Diva scene, finally a cd of Dire Straits in 7 channel stereo and DTS Neo. They actually blend in really well with the rest of the package. They don't have as much bass weight as the 34ds dipoles but for the money I paid they were imposible to turn down. If anyone hasn't seen the opening battle of Gladiator in discrete you don't know what you are missing. If you can check out the new What Hifi sound & vision, look for a ad for Hyperfi. They're selling the whole custom install range, upto half price. £149.99 each for the 200QT down from £274.99 each!
    Good luck with whatever you do.