1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround Speaker Placement-help!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by OBI-1, Feb 28, 2003.

1. OBI-1

OBI-1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone give their thoughts on where I should place my rear speakers (direct radiators) in a non-THX 5.1 setup?

It is very important I get it right due to the imminent build of my HC (garage conversion) I need to pre-run the speaker cables to the correct location B4 the plasterboard goes up.

The Dolby website suggest rears should be placed on the side walls, three to six foot above the listeners ears firing at each other. However, other articles I have read suggest they should be placed on the rear walls firing forwards.

My plan is to have the seating at the back of the room not the middle.

In my previous HC room I had the rears at the back of the room on 3' high stands on the side walls toed in to the rear wall, therefore the sound was bouned off the rear wall to the listening position rather than firing directly at the listeners ears!!

Is it really just a question of personal taste or are there some rules to this. My preference in terms of the new project is to wall mount them as per Dolby's recommendation.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dolby's recommendation for placing on the side walls is for a) dipoles and b) in a 7.1 setup.

Therefore in a standard 5.1 setup you place the rears behind you- not to the side.

Nathan

3. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In a standard 5.1 setup you can put them to the sides or rear, depends on what you prefer. Just experiment.

4. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to recall that your rears should be placed at 20 degrees behind the seating area - so that could be the side walls or the rear wall depending on where your seating position is relative to the walls.

As regards height, my rears are placed as per Dolby's suggestion (they are dipoles though). I think that if you're using the same speakers all round eg a sub/sat system then you should keep them all at the same height - so rears at the same level at the front - so the tonal balance of the speakers stays the same. If you have different rears then experiment, I've had direct radiating rears before and prefer them at the 6 foot level still.

5. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    Just Checked the pdf from Dolby for the 5.1 set up, they definatley say the rear surrounds are supposed to be on the side walls about 3ft above the listener and facing each other, thus creating the correct soundfield for dolby digital 5.1

All the diagrams on the Dolby setup pages seem to line them up with the listener not really behind?

6. OBI-1

OBI-1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I suspected, there does not seem to be a 'correct' answer. As long as I get a diffused rear sound field from the side mounted (Dolby) method, then this will suffice.

Has anyone actually got their direct radiator rear speakers set up a per Dolby's recommendation? If so, do you find that you can easily place the sounds or are the rears diffused? (assuming rear spk volume levels are set-up correctly of course.)

If anyone is interested, I have monitor audio SILVER 3I SURROUNDS: Frequency response/ Efficiency : 45Hz-25kHz & 88dB 1W/1M.

OBI-1 :(