Surround speaker placement advice please

oboe

Standard Member
Hi - I currently have 2 monitor audio mass surround speakers positioned as shown (set up more as rear speakers). RL can’t really be moved as there’s a door there, but I was thinking of moving RR on to the wall as shown (in my poor drawing 😊), so it points directly at the ear. I figure better to have one speaker in the right place than none? I have a denon avr2700 which should sort out the sound balance.

Attachments

• 506C3DBF-F2DF-44D4-B744-9FAF6C9D9B71.jpeg
    506C3DBF-F2DF-44D4-B744-9FAF6C9D9B71.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 51

DodgeTheViper

The one that you're suggesting to move is the Surround/Rear Left ;)

For the Right one, is there enough space between the door and the wall it opens up against ?

oboe

Standard Member
Sorry yeah, wrong way round 🤦‍♂️. No, absolutely no space behind the door for it to open.

Mr Wolf

Personally, I would leave it where it is. A couple of in-ceiling Atmos speakers just forward of the sofa would add a lot though to complete a sound bubble. i.e. 5.1.2

oboe

Standard Member
Would love to do that, but that would require some serious plaster work/cable chasing. I’m happy with the 5.1, just not sure if I’ve got the speakers in the best place. You still get the surround feel, but they’re rear, and not surround as they should be

DodgeTheViper

In your circumstance, I’d probably keep them on the same wall but put them slightly higher up because they’re close to the seating.

Mr Andy

I'd be inclined to have the speakers in matching positions, even if it's less than ideal.
If I remember correctly some people have experimented with having the speakers low down to give some space between them and the listening position.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom