surround speaker package

osmyth

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am about to buy a dvd recorder to replace a video and need to add an amp and 5.1 speakers. There seems to be a few ways of doing this so would like some advice please.

1. get a speaker package with the amp built in, like the Sony HTBE1.
For - price, got a good review
Against - quality?

2. get a separate amp/receiver and separate 5.1 speakers.
For - could add other inputs (not too bothered about this though), better quality?. Against - more expensive.

3. get a dvd player all-in-one package.
Like the look of the Panasonic SC-DT100, but could do with just the amp/speakers.
For - could copy DVD to DVDR (with correct scart). Against - will have 2 players.

any thoughts?
cheers, Owen.

If it's the best quality per pound spent and flexibility that you're after, number two of your options is really the only way to go.

I'm in a similar position - got a Tosh 36ZP18 TV, and am currently using the speakers that came with the TV to watch DVDs in DD. They're OK, but I;m getting to the stage where I want something better.

Thinking about option 2, what receiver/ speaker packages can people recommend bearing in mind :

- I'd like to keep the cost < £500
- I don't want massive speakers taking over my living room
- I don't want black speakers as they will be too imposing
- I don't need a hugely powerful system (rooms only 4m x 5m)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Balders.

Originally posted by balders
- I'd like to keep the cost < £500
- I don't want massive speakers taking over my living room
- I don't want black speakers as they will be too imposing
- I don't need a hugely powerful system (rooms only 4m x 5m)

You could just about squeeze a Marantz SR4200 and the Mission Cinema 72 A/V Speaker Package in Beech and Silver for £500 with some careful shopping.

You'd still need a little extra for cables etc. and would at some point probably want to add a subwoofer but the above would be one solution to meet your current requirements.

Hi Balders,

If you want something quite small and gucci in silver, I am about to put 5 Elac Cinema Sat 1 speakers. They are only 3 weeks old hardly even run-in. They cost me £50 ea (looking for £45 ea + p&p) The only reason I am getting rid of them is because I got a cracking set of floorstanders from someone on the forum so I am now going bigger.

They have won several awards, click on the link below:

http://www.elac.com/de/tests/2002/whifi10_02_cin1.html

The missus won't let me keep 2 complete sets!! :(

Regards

7ThGuest :)

Thanks, 7th. I'm not quite in a position to buy yet, so I won't be able to take you up on your offer.

Good luck with the sale though!

Balders.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom