1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround speaker matching important?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by KevB_UK, Jul 25, 2002.

1. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm in the process of building my HC setup. Here's the stuff I already have:

Marantz SR6200
    Mission 772 (front L&R)
    Mission 77c1

I was going to use Mission 77DS speakers for the surrounds, but a deal I had fell through and I need to get the speakers by the end of next month ideally.

Is it important to use the surrounds from the same manufacturer / family of speakers? Will it effect the sound if I use a different manufacturer?

If it doesn't could someone please recommend a decent set of bi-polars for around £100?

Thanks

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think it is more important with 5.1 as the rears are full range and are capable of what all the other speakers can do, as all channels are discrete and can be fed with the same signal, here timbre matching (same brand) is probably the best way to go IMO.

Though you don't have to, you should be able to get a pair of rears that near enough match your front and centre speakers. best thing to do is to demo, try and find a company that stocks your other speakers and can match something in your price range.

You should some ideas from some other members who have gone this route..

Good luck

Bob

3. finlab

finlab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you are looking for the 7ds's still then they are at £128
    http://www.hifijunkies.co.uk
    Not sure if that includes postage (have never used them)

oops just noticed it was the 77ds you were looking for, they dont stock them, sorry.

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have a decent amp there so it's worth shelling out a little extra in order to have it perform to it's potential.

The answers to your questions, put simply, are 'Yes' and 'Yes'.

If your question was *really* asking if you can get away with cheaper/non-matched rears, then 'Yes' again. Whether the sound will be effected to a noticeably negative degree will be down to whatever speakers you finally go for.

5. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So would Mission M7DS be suitable for my amp?

What are they like when compared to 77DS?