Surround speaker cables

SpuddybabyUK

Hi all, question on the above.

Need about 70m of cable for my surround/Atmos speakers.
It’s going to be channeled into the wall, and then run in the ceiling/wall voids where necessary.

Richer Sounds said I needed their Cambridge Audio cables at £4 a metre
Cambridge Audio ULTRA MICRO INSTALL

But I was wondering if I this would be just as good?
QX16/2 and QX16/4 LSZH Speaker Cable

The CA cable would cost me £280 for 70m, but the QED would be just under £100 for a 100m drum.

Does anyone use it, is it decent cable, or should I just fork out for the CA cable. I cant find any reviews for it, but QED are a reputable make.

SpuddybabyUK

Awesome thanks.
Such a minefield of info around sometimes u don’t know where to listen.
I’ll have a shop round but the QED is £1 a meter and I’ve seen a few people on here use it so I might just go with that.
In fact I’ve just seen it for £80 for 100m on another site
Just saved myself £180 or so so the wife will be happy!

D

Deleted member 24354

The QED will be fine and at £80 its a good price for 100m. Lots of threads on here about speaker cables and like you say lots of conflicting information and opinions.

LicensedTaximan

I haven't got my new Atmos equipped AV amp yet but for my present AV amp the cables for my side and rear surrounds, which were fitted in wall some ten years ago when we were ripping the house apart, are QED Silver cable because of the (ahem) stiff sheath and the surround is excellent. I have now fitted my four Atmos / DTS:X speakers near the ceiling but as i'm fitting the cabling right into the crevis where the wall and ceiling meet (channeling into the plaster is out) and then painting them over with the same colour as on our walls (we do not have wallpaper) i'm using QED 42 strand because of the flexible sheath. Also surround cabling doesn't need to be the same length like main stereo speakers. I can attest to the fact that it doesn't make any difference at all to sound quality because they are effect speakers. Fairly cheap and cheerful cables should be perfectly adequate, but go for a known make like QED, hope this helps. ;)

SpuddybabyUK

I haven't got my new Atmos equipped AV amp yet but for my present AV amp the cables for my side and rear surrounds, which were fitted in wall some ten years ago when we were ripping the house apart, are QED Silver cable because of the (ahem) stiff sheath and the surround is excellent. I have now fitted my four Atmos / DTS:X speakers near the ceiling but as i'm fitting the cabling right into the crevis where the wall and ceiling meet (channeling into the plaster is out) and then painting them over with the same colour as on our walls (we do not have wallpaper) i'm using QED 42 strand because of the flexible sheath. Also surround cabling doesn't need to be the same length like main stereo speakers. I can attest to the fact that it doesn't make any difference at all to sound quality because they are effect speakers. Fairly cheap and cheerful cables should be perfectly adequate, but go for a known make like QED, hope this helps. ;)

I agree, I’ve spent a bit more money already on cables for my front 3, and as they are effects speakers, I knew I didn’t want to pay loads for speaker cable for the surrounds/ceiling.
I can’t wait now, ceiling guy is doing the frame tomorrow, sparky coming Friday am, and plasterer coming Monday, once that’s done it’s just a case of installing everything and wallapapering. Reckon 1-2 weeks until completion!

LicensedTaximan

Good luck and good listening.

Wifey has been pretty good with me on my hi-fi and surround hobby. In our lounge we now have a total of twelve speakers.... 7.1.4, and the main stereo ones are floorstanders KEF 104.2's.... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

SpuddybabyUK

I’m lucky with my wife, she likes films anyway, but if I let her have an extension to he back of the house, she let me turn the garage into a man cave.

I’m allowed to do it however I like and she has no say in regards to speakers or cables. Although I am hiding cables so it’s not to much of a issue anyway.

LicensedTaximan

Both fortunate then. :facepalm:

As far as the cabling for the front height effect speakers is concerned I have already put them up and you would need to have me point them out so well camouflaged into the corner of the wall and ceiling they are . As I stated above channeling into the walls or ceiling is a complete no, no so carefully sticking them where the wall and ceiling meet and then painting them over is the way to go.

LicensedTaximan

Both fortunate then. :facepalm:

As far as the cabling for the front height effect speakers is concerned I have already put them up and you would need to have me point them out so well camouflaged into the corner of the wall and ceiling they are . As I stated above channeling into the walls or ceiling is a complete no, no so carefully sticking them where the wall and ceiling meet and then painting them over is the way to go.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom