"surround" sound

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Nape Dog, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Nape Dog

Nape Dog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi
    I hope someone can help me. I have a dvd/home cinema system. its the hitachi htdk 170. its connected to the sky and tv via scart. when i watch sky through it it only plays sound throught the front two speakers and the sub. is it possible to get this system to play the sound through all of the speakers? the connections it has on the back are:
    2x scarts
    s video out connector - outputs an s video signal
    video out connector - outputs a composite video signal
    audio out connectors - outputs audio left, right and subwoofer signals
    av input connector - connects audio and video component using video, left and right audio.
    i'm not really sure what these do etc but am thinking that maybe the av inputs may be the way to sort it out.
    :lease: help me

2. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    You will not get a true surround sound signal from Sky - there is not one (unless you have Sky+, and then it is only on some of the movie channels...and then only via optical cable (I think)!).

The only way to get a surround signal is if the amp has a setting for Pro Logic or Pro Logic II (or similar), which will convert a stereo signal to a psudeo surround output.

3. Nape Dog

Nape Dog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I appreciate i won;t be able to get an actual surround sound, but would the connections i have be able to push the sound through all speakers when watching sky, for instance when watching football it's be great to get the sound coming from behind as well as thr front?? if not, does anyone have any suggestions as to what to buy to achieve this? i'm not very clued up but want to learn. can i but another home cinema all in one that will do this or do i need to purchase a seperate amp to run a new dvd into etc???

4. robbierroy

robbierroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Look in your Hitachi manual to see if one of the sound setting is for something like "all speaker stereo". This will force the sound to all the surround speakers. I use this when listening to CDs and non-DD 5.1 material.

5. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    There is nothing wrong with the connection you have (which is why I made no comment on them). It is a setting you need as I described, not some other uber connector :)

6. Nape Dog

Nape Dog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    ok thanks, i don;t understand the setting in my speaker/audio menu. i have tried changing them but they don;t seem to make difference so i'll have to be happy with what i have got thanks for your help anyway :thumbsup:

7. kjt2004

kjt2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Nape

Try this setting

Go to Audio menu

select Downmix mode

set to off , i beleive that allows multi channel audio to be outputted ie you should get sound to all speakers from TV source

I dont have this system but i think that may work

:hiya:

8. Nape Dog

Nape Dog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    ok thanks kjt, i think i've tried that but i'll give it another go later.
    :smashin:

9. Nape Dog

Nape Dog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    tried that kjt but still no joy, thanks anyway

10. Nape Dog

Nape Dog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    ok, i have established that i cannot get the sky to play through all speakers. i think i need a pro logic II decoder which mine system doesn't have. can i link my system to an amp to play the sound through? or should i think about getting a new system that has pro logic II? i have seen a couple of systems on amazon which are relatively cheap (£80-£90 ish) that have PL II. what is my best option?? i can;t afford much for this. any help???