surround sound

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ricky27, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    hello,i need some advice,i currentley have a yam dd dts setup and am very pleased with it,but as i replaced my pro-logic amp with this i just wondered if its worth still using the old amp to maybe provide me with an extra surround channel to provde me with extra ambience directly behind my head,or would it just muddle the sound too much?

2. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you have a 6.1 or 7.1 decoder you will just reproduce the rear effects channels again? I might work but it may just be weird as you could loose or muddle the rear sound stage.

Unless the Yam has pre outs for 6.1/7.1 I wouldnt bother. Stick the output from your PC sound card into it and have Hi Fi computing.
    Rog

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You could build yourself a Pseudo Ex/Es 6.1 setup if the DD/DTS amp has pre-outs for the rear channels:

Connect those rear pre-outs to the DPL amp (e.e. AUX in), connect the center rear to the center out and rear speakers to the front channels out of that amp.
    Remove the rear speakers from the setup of the DPL amp.

Now you can activate DPL and enjoy some more diffused sound including a center rear (or two additional speakers if you want to have a pseudo 7.1 setup).