1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround sound.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Bandog, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Sagem HD45 TV and the sound is not up to much, I have approx £800 to spend on getting a surround sound system and I am wondering what you guys suggest I look at.

I have dound a Bose 6 speaker + SW speaker system and a Denon amp.

What do you guys have and what would you suggest?

Thanks.

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I have a Bose AM15's and a Sony Reciever (930dbs) which is a bit old now and I will be replacing with in 6 months or so for a reciever with multi digitial input swapping so I can have HD-DVD, Sky HD, PS3.

If you get Bose go for the AM15s as the AM10 are not 5.1DD. Am15s should cost around £1000-£1200

Mordant Short have also got some good satalite speakers and the misson cubes is also ment to be good. Tannoy do some tasty sat speakers, I think either chumpy or sheep has a tannoy setup.

There should be loads of reviews in the mags for surround speakers. Check out Home cinema choice for reviews.

:)

3. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

LOL... :D

Bose are nice, some people dont like them others do, its all personal prefrence. All of the people who have heard mine have been impressed and often look for other speakers in the room as they dont belive that the sound is coming from the little cubes. Try and demo these speakers and see if you like them.

Unless I am getting the link wrong I keep getting the AVC-A1XV reciever coming up which is the daddy of amps 3k +. Far too good for the speakers you choose. You should be looking at spending around £500-£600 for the speakers you have choosen. Here is a list of good manufactures for this price range.

Denon
    Marantz
    Pioneer
    Yamaha

Again look at Home cinema choice, they normally do price range round ups and should give you the answer you need.

If possible find a good AV supplier and they should set up a system for you to demo. Let them know what speakers you like and list a few amps for demo. Have a listen and go from there. If you havent owned a surround set up you will be impressed with the results as it completes the cinema experiance.

:thumbsup:

5. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually have a Mordaunt Short Avant setup which I'm more than happy with.

I can highly recommend them, I have 2 904's at the front, 2 902's at the rear, a 905 centre and whatever the sub is :D

The amp they are partnered with is a Nakamichi AV10 - an old school heavyweight black lump which works well for me and has more than enough power for what I use.

Two things you have to consider when purchasing speakers:

1 Does your missus or anyone else you live with have a hangup about large speakers?
    2 Do you have the space for floorstanders ?
    3 Are you in a flat, semi, or detatched house?

If the answer is yes, no, yes, then go for the Bose or something along those lines, otherwise, personally I would look at something more full size.

I looked seriously at the Bose before buying my current setup, but apart from the shockingly high cost and next to no discounting, the MS just blew the Bose away in every aspect other than the size of course.

This isn't the top of the range speaker by MS by any means, but the combination works for me.

However, I think the Bose system you are thinking of for that price range is the 3-speaker one - and to be honest I thought it was pants - nothing like the same as the acoustimass.

I actually saw something out of the ordinary from Yamaha recently, which - for what it was, was actually quite decent. A very interesting technology based on lots of mini directional speakrs, and coincidentally around the price range you are looking at:

http://www.futurehome.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=478

If you live in a semi, flat, etc it really isn't worth looking at too large a system IMO, otherwise you'll end up like me.... shelling out and moving to a house where I can let my system breathe properly :D

6. jessmith

jessmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could do an awful lot worse than this Denon/Kef package complete with cabling at £750. It isn't suitable for extremly large rooms, but it will deliver excellent results in small through to good sized rooms. And it in no way sounds like a small system.

By the way this is an excellent dealer, and the cable will be good stuff.

http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/hotsystemsAMP_DEN1906.htm

7. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

Razor, I don't think I will be getting that amp if it costs £3k. I am crazy but not that crazy.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will take a look at them all. I usually buy from John Lewis as I like their after sales care. I really don't want to buy an all in one package if I can help it.

What films should I be asking to listen to to get the best idea of sound?

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Try anything with a DTS soundtrack or THX certified. Starwars movies are always good, Master & Commander, Matrix, i-robot, Gladiator etc....

Seperates are normally better than all in one systems if you get the right combo. :)

9. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Razor, followed your advice re: Picture quality with a THX film. Star Wars looks fantastic on it.

I really don't want an "all in one" system as I feel you are not getting what you are paying for.

While you are here, is the usual co-ax into the RF the only way to get normal terrestrial stations?

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    You can use a digibox and output RGB scart to your display. RF is a poor connection. I never use it. :)

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    RF is the only way to get normal, analog, terrestrial transmissions. Of course. That's how they come!

However, you can probably improve on the PQ from these stations (i.e. ch 1....5) by receiving them on either a $ky box or Freeview box (depending on reception where you are), and feeding this into your set via RGB.

12. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. If there is something on one of the main channels I watch it through Sky now.

Stll can't get over how fantastic the picture is. I have started watching a hell of a lot more documentries about nature than I did. These sets are made for mountain and sea landscapes.

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

LOL.... :smashin: You should try out some HD and see what you think. :D