1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround sound with tv speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by foppotee, May 19, 2005.

1. foppotee

foppotee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased a Denon receiver avr-1905 (awaiting delivery) I used to have a Toshiba TV with integrated Dolby Pro Logic. So I have some surround speakers.

My question is whether I can source the integrated speakers of the television (Dell 2600w) through the receiver to act as the front speakers? If so what do I need to do this.

This may be a silly question as i know next to nothing about these things. This is just a part time fix until I acquire a suitable set of speakers!

Thanks for any help

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Depends on your TV and how you are passing the video signal to the TV.

If your TV has a pair of phono inputs you could run the pre-outs from the AVR for Left and Right into these.

Alternatively if you are using a component input you normally have a scart socket connection linked into this for the sound and so could do as above but use a composite - scart cable.

Either way you would need to turn the 'centre' as none on the AVR so it will ghost the centre into the left and right. Likewise on the TV you should turn off the prologic and just have it set to stereo so that it doesnt attempt to further process the signal which the AVR has already processed.

Do you have any other speakers (ie rears) which you are going to be using at the same time? if you do you may have slight difficulty in getting the volume levels matching for the TV speakers and those driven directly by the AVR - if you do a search on this forum there are many posts about how to best do this.

3. foppotee

foppotee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your reply

It was the Pro logic TV that got replaced blown tube! My new tv an 26" LCD that has just standard stereo. I have two rears and a centre speaker that was incorporated into the stand of the old tv that i could use.

I also have a pair of Technics speakers from my Hi Fi system that I don't use and could be used as fronts. However they may ruin the aesthetics a little. So I was looking to use two rears a centre and the two fronts that are integrated in the tv.

The new tv has umpteen connections on it so I'm sure I'll figure something out with the help of forum posts. I'm trying to stop myself going out and spending a load of money on speakers!!

Thanks again