Surround Sound with music cd etc

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by pedropeter, Feb 22, 2013.

1. pedropeter

pedropeter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, Just wondering if someone can offer a bit of guidance.

Many years ago I bought a Technics amp with surround capability, although I never used this feature.

Recently I got some surround speakers to try out. Bearing in mind I only play music cds or mp3's (not dvd audio or films etc), I am a bit dissapointed with the very low volume coming out of the rear speakers. But then I'm thinking that maybe surround sound is only really effective with material recorded as such.

Any comments appreciated.

2. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    It could be the speaker setup of the amp.

What technics amplifier is it?
    can you adjust the volume to the rear speakers separately from the fronts or even individually?

Most, if not all av's have various modes to which you could choose from for a desired sound. I.e Neo Cinema or Dolby Pro Logic in which you have 3 or 4 settings each to choose from. With these, the rears will only be used as background sounds in films. With music, you might not hear anything at all from the rears as stereo music signal is only sent to the front L\R speakers, as expected .
    On most av's, there is usually a setting where sound can be heard from all speakers equally providing the volume for the rears are set accordingly or can be adjusted.

On my AVR (Yamaha DSPAX763) this is called '7 ch Enchancer'. Not sure what it is called on other makes, but it could be similar.

If you still have manual, you should consult that.

3. whos mother

whos mother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    yes you need to look for an all-ch stereo or 5 ch stereo setting where it sends the same sound to all the speakers

I could be wrong but ill have a go:)surround sound is pointless unless the source is multi channel-even if you select pro logic or something which mimics true surround sound there will be nothing in the music to fill those channels it will be a representation of surround sound,i think pro logic for music sounds awful,i find it very disorientating and just a bit off

personally i cant stand music on any surround setting;stereo or pure audio for me

4. pedropeter

pedropeter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for advice. When I connected the rear speakers I used thin 4 core telephone wire (2 per speaker) which I thought it was a neat solution because the cable run was a bit awkward. I now realise that this was the problem because the cable resistance was much too high. Proper speaker cable solved the problem - although not as neat!
    Thanks again.