Surround sound with in-wall speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by SonicHedgehog, Jan 3, 2012.

1. SonicHedgehog

SonicHedgehog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm currently designing a small extension and would like to use the opportunity to install proper surround sound. Space is limited so I was wondering if it would be possible to use ceiling and in-wall speakers instead of the usual boxes. Anyone tried it or know why it wouldn't work?

2. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Personally I think it's a much better solution and I think most installers would agree. Can get good full range speakers in place and don't have to take up any floor space. Three in-wall speakers below the screen and two in the ceiling at the back for surrounds very easy. Just remember you still have to put a sub somewhere (which can also be in-wall at a price.....)

3. SonicHedgehog

SonicHedgehog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the reply. Has anyone actually tried this? Would it be fair to say that the latest AV receivers have a clever enough auto-set up to cope with ceiling/in-wall speakers in locations that would otherwise not be classed as ideal?

4. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Yes we do it all the time. You are a lot more likely to get less than ideal speaker locations in 90% of home users squeezing surrounds behind sofas right next to the listeners ears, having one odd speaker off in the corner on the other side of the room because aesthetically it matches even though the screen is well off-centre that kind of thing. In-wall and in-ceiling allow much better installations IMO and much better performance in a typical living room and even cinema room environment. How many home cinema galleries do you look at and see floorstanders in each corner of the room? Very, very few. They are all in-wall or on-wall, and where the room is a little small and you can't quite the rear and side walls away from the seats enough to make a decent rear image you put the speakers up in the ceiling to get some distance from the speakers to the listener.

5. Aberdeen Al

Aberdeen Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've got Monitor Audio Gold front speakers (x3) and B&W CCM 618's rear speakers which are all in-wall / in-ceiling and it's great.......plus it keeps the Mrs happy too :thumbsup:

6. SonicHedgehog

SonicHedgehog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks a lot for the replies. I've got MA Golds as well so it's good to know of some in-walls that work well with them if I decide to move everything into the extension. You guys have definitely helped make my mind up to go with the in-wall/ceiling speakers. Frankly, I'm surprised more people don't talk about this option on this forum. Loads of people ask for small boxes that are wife-friendly and yet I've never read a replies which suggests in-wall speakers as a solution.