1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround Sound & Widescreen

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Laskina, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Laskina

Laskina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [Surround Sound with Sky]
    Do Sky channels always broadcast in dolby pro-logic surround even if the programmes are in stereo or mono? The reason I ask is that it seems a lot of the "good" adverts are in surround sound, even if the programme is not. I have also found a lot more programmes than I expected broadcasting in surround sound.

[Widescreen]
    In my living room I have a widescreen TV but in the rest of the house (where I pump Sky to) are 4:3 TVs. I have set my Sky to broadcast in 4:3 with letter box - this means that on the 4:3 TVs I get standard screens size (with letter box if a widescreen prog), and with the widescreen TV I get 4:3 or auto zoom on any letter box programmes.

My question is, does a 4:3 letter box picture have the same quality as a 16:9 picture? Or to put it another way, on a widescreen TV does zooming a 4:3 letter picture to a 16:9 screen give a lower quality picture compared to than a straight 16:9 picture viewed full screen?

Hopes this makes sense :)

Cheers

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    The fact that any given program is in plain stereo or mono will have no influence on any other program, or on the adverts within that program.

The surround channel in Dolby Surround is encoded into the main two channels, so only two sound channels are being broadcast regardless of whether or not there is some surround encoding.

A proper (anamorphic) 16:9 picture is vastly superior to zooming a letterbox picture. An anamorphic picture is only "squeezed" sideways and hence the TV only has to stretch it sideways to restore it. A zoomed picture has to be stretched in both directions.

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    This is a bit of a dilemna for you.....

Do you set the stb to 16:9 so you can appreiate the fully glory of true anamorphic ws on your main WS TV and have all the other Tvs showing a squashed 4:3 pic, or have a poor quality zoomed letter box pic or 4:3 cut out on your WS TV for the sake of the other 4:3 TVs?

Either way, it's a hell of a trade off!

4. Laskina

Laskina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nicolasb - cheers :)

kevo - you are exactly right; damn if i do, damned if i dont.

i think with nicolasb confirming the lost of quality i think i will go back to the 16:9 setting and suffer on the 4:3 tvs.

and i guess if its get too annoying i can always switch between the pic format settings on the stb - though that will be a pain :/

cheers

5. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are right - switching between 16:9 and 4:3 on the box is the only short term solution...

So I would set it to 16:9 when watching most BBC and Channel 4 progs and 4:3 for the like of UK Gold etc etc.

ITV is a mixed bag - as is 5 - so that's a compromise decision.

Eventually it will sort itself out when everyone broadcasts in 16:9, but that's at least two years away...