Surround sound upgrade question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Amp34, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Amp34

Amp34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pioneer DVD surround sound system (5.1 with wireless rear speakers model: HTZ515DVD) and want to add another couple of rear speakers to it. It has space for another 2 speakers to make 7.1 so no problem there. We are also considering replacing the 2 front side speakers too as one is starting to crackle a bit and so the 4 main speakers are the same. Would I need to replace the centre speaker as well?

The side speakers at the moment are rated at 75W and the impedance is 6 ohms. I assume I can put any speaker rated at or above 75W in but what about the impedance? Does a speaker need to have a higher one (such as 8 ohms) or a lower one (4 ohms) or does it always have to be the same?

[​IMG]
    Here's the page with the amp and speaker specs

Also suggestions of what speakers to get say at £100, £200 and £300 per pair. Do I actually need to replace the front side speakers when I add the rear speakers or can I leave them (forgetting about the crackle) and not have sound issues?

2. peskywinnets

peskywinnets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It's really is down to how well your home theatre amp can handle lower speaker impedances (which draw more current)...since the manual states 6 ohms, I'd probably therefore stick with 6 ohm or higher (ie 8 ohms...higher impedances mean less audible output but you can always tweak this up in your amp to compensate) & wouldn't go lower (eg 4 ohms) unless I could be sure my amp could handle that type of load ok (lots of amps can't!)

3. Amp34

Amp34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. So pretty much any 8 ohm speaker will do? What about wattages, can I get ones that have ranges such as 50-100W or do i need to specifically get 75W ones?