1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround sound through Sky

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by BOUMSONG, Jun 26, 2005.

1. BOUMSONG

BOUMSONG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    A good few months ago i decided to get this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001A981Q/ref=ase_pricerunner-21/202-7824042-5215038 which was a bundle of 7.1 speakers and decoder.

One of the reasons i got it was so i could get surround sound of some description through my TV in my bedroom. The thing is, i know very little and at this moment in time i am still no expert! The set i have is a Logik set but i think it is basically a differently badged version of this - http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...lay=both&filter_order=rating_useful&offset=10

Basically what i want to know is how do i get surround sound through my TV? I have tried various connections. Can i et 5.1DD with sky? My digibox is this - Thomson DSI 410. The thing is my digibox is downstairs and it is up stairs i have my speakers. I use a tv link to watch sky in my room.

I also have a an Audigy 2 Zs and my setup lets me have 7.1 EAX in PC Games, 5.1DD when watching DVD's through my PC using SPDIF, 5.1 DD on my xbox etc etc. The missing link is when watching TV! And its quite a big missing link! There must be a way?

2. Alun

Alun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    You can only get DD from sky on selected movies and with the sky+ box, if you had this you would then need to run an optical lead from the sky box to your decoder package.
    to get your dvd's on your telly and surround sound, you could use your xbox with the optional microsoft tv lead which has an optical output which your amazon box can input. hope this helps

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    A lot of people get confused with Dolby Digital and Dolby Surround. Dolby Surround is stereo with extra channel information encoded into it, and it can be delivered over any stereo source. Dolby Digital is a digital stream which can be encoded with (up to) 7 channels of completely separate audio information, but it can only be delivered digitally (either via a co-axial or optical connection), and has to be decoded by a DD decoder. If you have a standard Sky box, you will only get Dolby Surround from the box's stereo feed. You will only get Dolby Digital from a Sky+ box, and DD is currently only delivered from Sky Movies 1, 2, and 3 (not Sky Box Office !), and some Disney Channel programmes.

4. BOUMSONG

BOUMSONG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    What cable would i use to get Dolby surround on sky then and how would i connect it?

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Dolby Surround is encoded into the standard stereo soundtrack so either use the audio present in the scart cable or the dedicated twin RCA phonos.
    Select the correct input for you amp and then choose Dolby Prologic2 (DPL2) or whatever other digital processing you wish to use.

DPL2 is capable of even creating a psuedo surround sound field from a mono source but performs better with stereo and even better a surround soundtrack if the program you are watching was recorded in that format which most have been for well over a decade.

6. BOUMSONG

BOUMSONG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    OK i will try that.

Another thing though, before i had sky i would watch normal terrestrial channels via the portable ariel that it came with. I have no proper ariel point/socket in my room. The reception therefore was always pretty poor. Since getting Sky and ITV 1 becoming viewable on Sky, i have never needed to watch anything through my ariel. However, sometimes someone might be watching something on sky eg Sky News and i want to watch the Simpsons on ch 4 at the same time. I cant do this though. I also cant get text in my room. So what should i do? Could i get an adapter so that i can have both the portable antenna/ariel and tv plus connector in at the same time?

7. BOUMSONG

BOUMSONG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Well ive had a scart to phono cable (at least i think thats what it is - one end is scart and the other is yellow (video) and audio r and l (red and white). I put the red and white connectors into the analogue ports on my decoder and set the decoder to analogue 1. I can hear sound from the front speakers but thats my lot :(.

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You will only hear Dolby Surround if it has been encoded on the stereo track. If you don't hear sound from the rear speakers, there's either no Dolby Surround encoded, or your sound source is mono, not stereo.

9. BOUMSONG

BOUMSONG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    What stuff is most likely in stero so i can check?

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The Simpsons is in Dolby Surround (except the very early episodes) or you could try a movie. Most movies are in DS.

11. BOUMSONG

BOUMSONG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Ive checked various films on Sky Movies which i imagine would be in stereo and none are giving me surround sound. Ive tried a lot of different channels but sounds only coming from the front left and front right speaker. Maybe this is because the cables are audio r and audio l i dont know :confused:

12. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Do they sound like stereo ? Is your digibox set to output stereo ?

13. BOUMSONG

BOUMSONG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Oh *penny drops*.

I have been putting the scart into my TV, not the digibox! As i said, my TV in my room is upstairs while my digibox is downstairs!

So what i need to do is move the digibox into my room or get a massive scart right?

14. BOUMSONG

BOUMSONG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  15. Bales1983

Bales1983

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Edit: Sorry guys its to early in the morning, didint realise this thread is six months old!! Hi,

Ok im assuming your digibox has audio out? (white and red plugs on the back?)

I take it at the moment you watch sky through a normal aerial cable attached to the digibox's rf output downstairs

now you need to get a phono cables (long one) and attach the red and white plugs to the red and white sockets on the digi downstairs, then you need to take the other end to your amp system, then you put sky on the tv, turn the tv sound down, turn the amp up and select the correct input you pluggeed into,

Hey presto dolby surround

Lee

16. TheCat

TheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would there be any improvement by plugging my sky box (not +) into the amp with a digital fibre optic lead?

The best I'll get is still Pro Logic II I assume?

17. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I assume you have a SONY digibox?

If so then the DAC in your amp may be of better quality then the one in the digibox which could provide you with better audio quality.
    Yep you'l still get plain stereo which carries the basic surround sound info it may just be cleaner:)