Surround Sound through my TV?

AmandaAVVirgin

Standard Member
I have no idea if I am in the right place or not but I need some help. We have a new Samsung 3D HDTV, a SkyHD box and new Samsung HT-C5900 Home Cinema System. I have just spent the evening setting up the HT system as it arrived today! I have it working but I cant get the surround sound to work through the television, only for DVDs. I am using HDMI cables but probably totally incorrectly?

We have an HDMI cable from the sky box to the TV and one from the DVD to the TV, the DVD is not linked to the sky box. Where am I going wrong?

p.s. I have probably got the setup totally wrong!

jumborat

You need a digital optical cable like THIS. It will connect between the optical out on you Sky HD box and the optical in on the Samsung HT-C5900. Don't pay too much for one!

On your Sky box you then need to change the Digital Audio Output to Dolby D in the sound settings by pressing Services, right arrow, down arrow, 2, down arrow x2, right arrow then green to save.

It's then just a case of pressing AUX on the HT's remote until the display says D.in or something similar. If Anynet is active the TV's speakers should mute too.

Broadz

I have it working but I cant get the surround sound to work through the television
It will connect between the optical out on you Sky HD box and the optical in on the Samsung HT-C5900. Don't pay too much for one!
With all due respect, the OP was asking about getting the audio from her TV through the surround sound system, not the audio from the Sky box. Doing what jumborat suggested will get the audio from her Sky box routed through the home cinema system (including Dolby Digital surround sound when available) but will not send the audio from her TV through the home cinema. So, when she is watching Freeview or Blu Ray or a video or playing a game, none of these will be audible via the home cinema.

callius

Standard Member
Most TV's have an optical out, but in general is only push's out 2.1. But it will let sound go through the surround system.
And the DVD most likely has some digital audio outputs.

Broadz

And the DVD most likely has some digital audio outputs.
Don't quite understand this comment? The DVD player is the home cinema system - so there is no need to send the audio from the DVD player on to anything else. Or did you mean that the DVD most likely has some digital audio inputs?

jumborat

With all due respect, the OP was asking about getting the audio from her TV through the surround sound system, not the audio from the Sky box.
As the OP calls herself an "AVVirgin" I offered advice on how to get the best audio out of her equipment. If I'd said use optical from TV to the C5900 then people would have then said doing that would mean no DD5.1 from Sky.

So, when she is watching Freeview or Blu Ray or a video or playing a game, none of these will be audible via the home cinema.
Blu-ray's will be fine as the HT-C5900 is an all-in-one.

AmandaAVVirgin

Standard Member
Hi!
Thanks for your responses. So am I right in thinking if I follow Jumborats advice and connect the optical cable between the SkyHD box and the C5900 then I will be able to watch Sky with surround sound and DVDs? Will I have to change settings every time?

I wont be watching freeview as have the full Sky package.

Thanks again.

jumborat

Hi!
Thanks for your responses. So am I right in thinking if I follow Jumborats advice and connect the optical cable between the SkyHD box and the C5900 then I will be able to watch Sky with surround sound and DVDs? Will I have to change settings every time?

I wont be watching freeview as have the full Sky package.

Thanks again.
Basically, yes! All you have to do, after connecting the optical cable, is use the AUX button on the 5900's remote to select d.in and Sky will sound through your speakers.

AmandaAVVirgin

Standard Member
Hi again,
I have finally bought an optical cable today and connected it from the sky box to the HT system but it isnt working. The DVD/HT system is displaying D.IN and the sound on the television no longer goes off when the HT is switched on but I cant get the TV sound to come through the surround sound speakers. I have checked the setup on the Sky box and it is set to Dolby D. Randomly the Anynet+ has also stopped working?

Any help would be much appreciated

AmandaAVVirgin

Standard Member
Scrap my last reply. Ive just tried turning everything off and on again. Anynet+ was reactivated and the surround sound is working for the TV. Who knows what that was all about it we are happy :D

callius

Standard Member
lol was just replying
grats :)
We dont even watch the news without the surround sound on now lol.
Brought my dad one for xmas and hes the same, now wisj it was as easy to get DTS pass through working from a laptop bleh.

Top Bottom