Surround sound through headphones via AVR??

Rolph77

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have searched through the forums to try and find the answer to my problem but have had no luck, apologies if it has been answered elsewhere!

I would like - a pair of surround headphones for late night listening of streamed TV, a PS4 and Blu Rays when the missus has gone to bed and the boy is asleep.

My setup - an LG CX, PS4, Oppo 203 UHD Blu Ray, Marantz SR7013 AVR.

The PS4 and Oppo are connected to the AVR via HDMI, the AVR then connects to the TV with a single HDMI via eARC.

I stream Netflix and Prime via the TV's apps.

Ideally I would like to listen to surround sound via headphones when playing games, watching streaming and when watching blu rays.

I can live with wired headphones, wireless would be nice.

Now, if I connect headphones to the phones jack on the AVR, will I only get stereo? Or at best upmixed surround that the headphones are doing?
If I connect headphones direct to the TV, presumably I will get surround audio when streaming but not when watching a blu ray as the AVR is only sending a video signal to the TV? The TV's internal speakers are not available with my current setup when watching a disc or gaming.

This will be my first foray into the headphones world, I'm not fussed with claims of 9 channel audio, just a good quality pair of surround headphones.

Any advice greatly received as always! Any product suggestions would be great, could stretch to around £300.

Many thanks :thumbsup:

The headphone jack on the Marantz, all AV amps and stereo amps will be the same, stereo. A good pair of open back headphones will give a very good spacial performance with film and TV but it will be a stereo signal. I believe you can get virtual surround sound headphones that can use a stereo input.

@Rolph77 I've moved your question here.

The headphone jack on the Marantz, all AV amps and stereo amps will be the same, stereo. A good pair of open back headphones will give a very good spacial performance with film and TV but it will be a stereo signal. I believe you can get virtual surround sound headphones that can use a stereo input.

@Rolph77 I've moved your question here.
Thanks for the move.
I suspected that may be the case with the stereo output.
Stereo audio would not be the end of the world at all, I just don't want to be missing out on something better.

Thanks for the move.
I suspected that may be the case with the stereo output.
Stereo audio would not be the end of the world at all, I just don't want to be missing out on something better.
Hi I've got a pair of sony Bluetooth headphones I use when I get in after a late shift so not to wake the wife that are connected by Bluetooth to my sony avr. I can listen to all my media anything connected to the avr and tv and apps. I was watching the expanse the other night which is in dolby atmos obviously I was not getting atmos but the surround sound effects through the headphones were excellent.

Hi I've got a pair of sony Bluetooth headphones I use when I get in after a late shift so not to wake the wife that are connected by Bluetooth to my sony avr. I can listen to all my media anything connected to the avr and tv and apps. I was watching the expanse the other night which is in dolby atmos obviously I was not getting atmos but the surround sound effects through the headphones were excellent.
Thanks for the reply, what model Sony have you got?

This will be my first foray into the headphones world, I'm not fussed with claims of 9 channel audio, just a good quality pair of surround headphones.
Real surround sound headphones do not exist widely on the market because to fit so many small drivers means low quality parts and big housing.

So surround sound headphones are actually simulated or virtual digital surround sound to two drivers.

On a computer one can download a trial of the Atmos app to try it out FYI

For non PC hardware there are not many AV receivers that send surround sound to headphones. Some Yamaha models?

The latest Xbox and PS5 will send simulated surround sound to headphones and that is the best option today as they are mass produced in the millions, will be supported for at least the next five years and one can use any stereo headphone

Headphones that support surround sound - outside of the PC Windows sphere - are thin on the ground

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07XTW93RV/ (richer sounds is the seller)

The Sony MDR-HW700DS 9.1 that was reviewed here many years ago is no longer available to buy I believe

There is the JVC alternative but reviews are thin and it is quite expensive

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks,
It seems to be the more I look into it, the more I'm thinking of just going for a good quality pair of 'standard' stereo phones.
Audio lag is a worry as I won't be using them for music at all.

Thanks for the reply, what model Sony have you got?
Mine are the Sony CH 700 £99 but with your budget you could get a better model

Thanks,
It seems to be the more I look into it, the more I'm thinking of just going for a good quality pair of 'standard' stereo phones.
Look for a Bluetooth transmitter and a headphones that supports the low latency codec if you go that route. There are a couple of past threads discussing low latency options

The above Sennheiser model does not use Bluetooth. It uses radio tech and I am not aware of lip sync complaints, albeit I have never used such a model but I think Sennheiser sell a reasonable amount of them

Of course there is the option of a wired headphone and 3m cable, job done

Look for a Bluetooth transmitter and a headphones that supports the low latency codec if you go that route. There are a couple of past threads discussing low latency options

The above Sennheiser model does not use Bluetooth. It uses radio tech and I am not aware of lip sync complaints, albeit I have never used such a model but I think Sennheiser sell a reasonable amount of them

Of course there is the option of a wired headphone and 3m cable, job done
I'll give it a look, cheers.
Most wired models seem to be 1.5 or 3m, I'd need at least 4m, which would mean an extension cable.

Looking at the Sennheiser RS 175 currently, not sure how they would connect to the Marantz yet.

Transmitter accepts 3.5mm analog input or digital optical input

Can I just add if you can get a pair of Sony MDR-HW700DS 9.1 I’ve had these for a few years and they are excellent, I watch lots of stuff on them when I don’t want to disturb the rest of the house cant recommend them enough, if you can get the Japanese version you can have more than one set on at a time

@Rolph77 good to learn. And the stability of the base station connection to the TV and headphones lip sync is all good?

I have them as well. They're not really "surround" but they are decent for late-night movie watching.

You can connect multiple headsets to the same base station as well. I've never had any issues with sync or lipsync. I can wander around the house to about 2 rooms away before they cut out.

I bought mine from the Sennheiser Outlet for a decent saving.

Lip sync is very good, not experienced any issues with that so far.
Comfort wise they are fine, don't think i'd really want them on for a 3hour film but two hours watching the excellent The Midnight Sky on Netflix the other night was good.
Connection to the base station - I seem to have a fraction of a second drop in audio every 15 or so minutes if I sit too far away, if I'm sitting closer then it doesn't happen at all.
Maybe the base station could be moved to try and overcome that.

Comfort wise they are fine, don't think i'd really want them on for a 3hour film

I had to replace the ear cushions and got some on Amazon that are not the fake plastic "leather" they come with and more a faux suede. They're much more comfortable, more in the heat department than actual comfort, but don't seem to be there now.

Thanks,
Just get a wired pair much better bang for your bucks.

There is the JVC alternative but reviews are thin and it is quite expensive

Seems like some reviews are starting to surface. Expensive is correct - £999 or $999! That said; it looks like it is the business. There was a query in a separate thread here regarding the JVC XP-EXT1 EXOFIELD (7.1.4 Atmos + DTSX).

I'll paste some reviews from youtube below.

Seems like some reviews are starting to surface. Expensive is correct - £999 or $999! That said; it looks like it is the business. There was a query in a separate thread here regarding the JVC XP-EXT1 EXOFIELD (7.1.4 Atmos + DTSX).

On reflection I am thinking it is "expensive" with no 'quite' qualifier needed. The discontinued Sony's were half the RRP...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom