• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Surround Sound through dvd player

bibliophile

Standard Member
Probably a very stupid question but here goes

I've been lucky enought to get a new Sony 46" EX503 tv. It has Freeview HD built in and can apparently supply dolby 5.1 surround sound.

I have an existing 2003 Acoustic solutions dvd player model 451 with built in connections to my surround sound speakers providing dolby 5.1 sound.

Can I connect my new tv to the dvd player to obtain surround sound without having to play a dvd?

Thanks folks

kevshed

unlikely IMO.... unless your DVD player has a 5.1 input, that matches the 5.1 output of your tv. I'd suspect (could be wrong), that your TV has something like an optical digital audio out .... so you'd need an optical audio in, and a way of selecting that input on your DVD player.... not a common feature, especially back in 2003...

Kev

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom