• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Surround Sound system without DVD Player (1080p upscaling)

G

gundogar

Hi All,

I would like to buy home 5.1/6.1/7.1 cinema system with 1080p upscaling. I dont want additional DVD player because I would like to use my PS3 as player.

My TV is Sony KDL40V3000

My budget for the sound system is 100-400 £

Can you suggest me good surround system for a man who is not professional with AV systems but has a good ear :)

xPositor

Hi there,

If you're not too fussed about HD audio, you could try the Onkyo 505 paired with the Jamo A102HCS5 5.1 speakers. If memory serves correctly the 505 does not accept audio over HDMI, you have to pass it over optical.

The speakers are sensational, but I bit the bullet and went for the Onkyo 605 (which does support audio over HDMI, and hence you will be able to get HD audio (bandwidth for HD is too high for optical, so I've been told)). I have got SkyHD + PS3 running through this.

Very, very pleased.

HTH.

Wightknight

Standard Member
I recommend that you look at some of the threads in this section relating to the Sony HTSS and HTSF ranges. The SS products have small speakers whereas the SFs are larger and on stands.

They are in your price range, relatively simple to set up, come with all of the speakers and speaker cables and would integrate well with you existing products.

You would need to run an HDMI cable from your PS3 to the receiver unit, then a second HDMI cable into the TV.

I recommend that you read some of the other threads on setting up audio on PS3. (Basically, it is best to use Linear PCM.)

Your PS3 will automatically handle upscaling to 1080P.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom