1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround sound system help needed please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Blindman, May 5, 2005.

1. Blindman

Blindman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi. I would be grateful for some help. I have a projector and a Denon 3910 and am now looking to get a surround system to go with it. The room is 18' x 12' and my children sleep above it, so the system has to sound really detailed and clear at lowish volumes. I like a fairly clear precise sound, which is not fatiguing to listen to - currently I am using a Linn Majik amp/Tukan speakers combo. The system is mostly for movies, but I want music to sound good too.My budget is about 2 - 2.5K.

Thoughts so far were;

Amplifier
    Arcam Avr 250 or 300
    Denon AVR3805

Speakers
    Kef Q4/Q1/Q9c/PSW2500(good looks and easy to place in room)
    Quad L series Package (12L/11L) - this would have to be with Denon or similar price amp as speakers are more expensive than Kefs. Also are Quads too big for the room?

We can't demo much as we have to take our two preschool children with us, so any advice on whether any of the aforementioned would work together would be really great! :lease:

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Amps I cant really advise you on (As I havnt heard a lot recently) although I have heard a few Denons as well as the Arcam you mention. In general I would say that both are good although the Denon is probably the better bet for purely home cinema use, where as the Arcam has a slightly more relaxed presentation :) As for speakers, the KEFs are great. But the KEF sub is the weak link and i would look at somebody elses such as a SVS or similar. The Quads are more refined but probably a bit ahead of the quality of amplification you will be driving them with :thumbsup:

3. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    All of the above is just my opinion of course :D

4. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Be careful with the Quads - the 11L for certain is not magnetically shielded, better to check the rest of the range before your TV picture exits stage right!

Good deals are to be had on Monitor Audio Silver series due to them being replaced soon. My little S1s are great in 2-channel with Arcam amplification, for both music and the occassional film - might be worth a look for a surround set-up.

5. Blindman

Blindman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks everyone! I am going to demo a 3805 and an Arcam AVR 300 tomorrow with Monitor Audio silvers. I'll let you know how I get on.

6. Blindman

Blindman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Since writng the above, I now have the opportunity to buy a new boxed warrantied Denon AVC A1SR for £1250. Can anyone help with these questions?
    Would its version of Denonlink work with my 3910?
    How does it compare to the Arcam or the 3805?
    Is it easy to set up?
    Is this still a good price?
    Is such an amplifier, although good, simply "too much" for a system such as I am planning?
    :lease:
    Thanks