Surround Sound System for 360 bedroom setup

Chrisoldinho

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm thinking of investing in a mini surround sound setup for my 360 and samsung le32a457 connected via a monster gamelink component cable.

ideally i'd be connecting via optical as my 360 doesn't have HDMI (yes I know that would mean i'd need another lead from Monster but that's another subject).

As it's a bedroom setup and will probably never be anything more than this i'm really not looking to spend a lot of money.

Any ideas on where to look for a budget setup?

I currently have an old Sony 2.1 amp and some eltax floorstanders but tbh they are a bit too big for my room and i'm looking for some thin speakers that can be hidden/don't take up much room, will the TV alone be enough to power a 5 speakers or is a seperate receiver a must?

Sorry for so many questions but i'm a bit of a "newb" here!!

Thanks, Chris.

Last edited:
Chris,

I bought this a couple of years ago and it is terrific...It was pretty cheap then I think I paid about £170 from Paly.com..Not sure how much it is now...It would do You nicely and is the same colour as your xbox (unless You have an elite but with no hdmi obv not!!)

Kev

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/content/press/news/htpgs1.html

Last edited:
Chris,

I bought this a couple of years ago and it is terrific...It was pretty cheap then I think I paid about £170 from Paly.com..Not sure how much it is now...It would do You nicely and is the same colour as your xbox (unless You have an elite but with no hdmi obv not!!)

Kev

Hi Kev, thanks for posting but I can't see any links / pics :confused:

Could you edit and repost for me?

Thanks, Chris.

I'll 2nd DD's recommendation, managed to pick up one of these beauties last year from John Lewis for an obscene £50 delivered (last few in stock).

They're made specifically for the 360 and look and sound great, got it set up in my bedroom and every now and again I get to shake the house down using it ;)

Thanks will get this. Do I need anything else or is it an "all in one" solution?

Also, where's a good place to get one from as the few i've found are £150+ which is more than I wanted to spend...

£100 I could live with :D

Last edited:
Chris,

I'd say the £150 mark is about right...i do rememeber that obscene John Lewis offer but alas too late for you :(

I think icomes with the optical lead, thats all you need to connect it up..It is a great peice if kit although IMO the remote is a bit shoddy !!!

Hi Chris..

If you want something cheap then I can recommend the Logitech Z540 that I have, you can get it for £50. However it only uses a 2 channel source (i.e the red and white audio leads) so I have this hocked up via the red and white outputs from my VGA lead. For a small system I was blown away with the sound it makes, ideal for a bedroom setup IMO. I know its not optical so you don't get true surround sound but it dose a great job of simulating it.

Best 50quid I've spend in a while.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/234&cl=gb,en

Thanks for the replies so far everyone :smashin:

As much as I want the Panasonic setup, as i'm using a Monster Gamerlink Component Cable i'd end up spending £150+ on the 5.1 setup and then a further £20 on a jack to link it to a standard optical lead (con artists).

I don't think SWMBO would be happy me spending this kind of £ unfortunately :rolleyes:

Are there any alternatives out there around the £100 mark or below that are optical?

If not I think trapdoor berk's link could be a winner and I might have to sacrifice optical surround sound.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom