1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround Sound System Advice Needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BigBear, Jun 10, 2002.

1. BigBear

BigBear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just purchased a Toshiba SD220E (Multiregion) from dvdplayers.co.uk and am now contemplating buying a surround sound system to go with it. I'm looking to spend about £400 for a Dolby Digital and DTS decoder and the full speaker set (i.e. two front, two rear, centre and subwoofer) any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm now in the same boat - am returning my Toshiba 32ZP18 TV with integrated Dolby Digital 5.1 and speakers and going for a Loewe Vitros. Now I need the surround. I would like value for money and reasonable performance but we are not talking top or even mid range here!

I would like small ish speakers and have found the following deals (?) on various web sites - any comments?

Teac LS5.1U @ £150 (Is this the same as LS350?)
    Teac LS350 @ £240
    Yamaha NSP220 @ £150
    Eltax Cinema 5.1 @ £200

As for the AV receiver I would like to get one with DTS while I'm at it (never experienced this so I've no idea how much better it is over DD5.1). Would also like one with a radio tuner and RDS if possible as the stereo has been moved to the dining room now. Preferably in black also.

I've been looking at the range from Richer Sounds. Particluarly the Yamahas (no idea why but I guess they have a good rep). What is the difference between the various models on offer and is it worth paying the extra - which one would you recommend (bare in mind I live in a semi-detached so I don't want to annoy the neighbours too much!):

RXV520RDS(80W x 5) @ £180
    RXV620RDS(100W x5) @ £300
    RXV800RDS(??W x5) @ £350

Other than the power output what is the benefit of 620/800 over 520?

What about the Sony STRDB1070 at £300? Any good? Better than the Yamahas above?

Any recommendations greatfully received.

3. Glasswalker

Glasswalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd recommend a Yamaha DSP AX-620 amp. You should be able to pick one up for around £250.

4. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But this doesn't have a tuner/RDS does it?

5. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Into the equation, think about the Marantz sr4200 and 5200 models, I have the 4200 and I love it.

6. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ...and you'll get DPL2 as well.
    http://www.qed-uk.com are selling the Marantz 4200 for £278 - they did have the 5200 for £303, but I think it was a mistake, as it's back up in price now!

7. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a look at the spec for the 4200 and this brought up another (dumb?) question: why are there video inputs/outputs/monitors on these AV receivers - I thought these beasts were just for the audio? The 4200 doesn't have component vide o whereas the yamahas do.

8. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can use the amp to switch video as well as audio - can't see the point, really, but some people do it.
    I have my DVD and VCR straight to the TV, and use the TV remote to do the source switching. If I ever get cable/satellite, I may need to get a scart switch box, as my TV only has 2 scarts. Not the end of the world.

9. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Video swithing via the amp suits americans as s-video or component is what they use. We have scart and RGB video signals which most amps dont handle.

Look up my connections post that usually gets posted every week, although not for quite a few weeks now, and it will show some of the connection methods. It doesnt cover component but i will adapt it if you have component video. (hopefully you do as it makes it a lot easier to connect everything up as well as giving you the better signals)