Question Surround Sound speakers

Itsthesmell

Im looking to upgrade my rear speakers and would like some recommendations.

Im using £20 cube speakers from ebay right now which arent very good. To go with my stands they need to be small and under 4kg but I like the look of floor standing thin tower speakers that you get in a Sony/Toshiba/Panasonic DVD system but they dont look like they will sound very good.

Can anyone recommend any good ones?

Ideally 4ohms.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Can I ask if you are using an all in one system? If so, what is the model number. Also take a photo of the stands! This might enable to others to help.

I have to say that if it is an all in one, then you really need to use what has been designed to be used with that product. These types of products usually have a dedicated subwoofer which has been tuned to work with the speakers without causing damage to the amp/receivers built in. Using anything else will most likely cause damage

Itsthesmell

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
With it being an Onkyo, then you can place any half decent speakers with it as it’s a dedicated av receiver.

I would really think about speaker size as it’ll just the the size that is making them sound poor as the amp has the ability to fill most rooms

you could look for a compact Tannoy package or even a Boston Acoustics for a compact speaker package for your amp

Itsthesmell

Thanks for the tip here they look like decent speakers but they are all 8ohms, I need 4 ohms tomatch my mains and heights.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Your amp states all its figures at 6 Ohms as that's what Onkyo do. You can read a little bit about it via this old thread ---> which also gives far more insight and other areas which are just as important as the ohms :)

Itsthesmell

Your amp states all its figures at 6 Ohms as that's what Onkyo do. You can read a little bit about it via this old thread ---> which also gives far more insight and other areas which are just as important as the ohms :)
My amp can select 4 ohms or 6 ohms, it says if you're using 4 ohms you should select it. So 4 out of 7 speakers are 4 ohms and I plan on changing them all to 4 ohms eventually

Itsthesmell

Ive been reading through the posts you shared re:speaker impedances. Common sense would say a 4ohm speaker would make the amp run cooler. Ive attached a screen shot of the manual of the onkyo regarding speaker settings. When I got the Dali's I ran through the speaker gain settings and to get all speakers at a similar level setting it to 4ohms seemed the better choice

Attachments

gibbsy

Ive been reading through the posts you shared re:speaker impedances. Common sense would say a 4ohm speaker would make the amp run cooler. Ive attached a screen shot of the manual of the onkyo regarding speaker settings. When I got the Dali's I ran through the speaker gain settings and to get all speakers at a similar level setting it to 4ohms seemed the better choice
Actually it's the other way around. Running 4 ohms can and often does make amps run hotter. Less resistance means more power. More power means more voltage. More voltage means higher temperatures.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom