Surround sound speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by art-lab, Mar 7, 2013.

1. art-lab

art-lab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm doing up my house and wanted to put in-ceiling speakers throughout. I managed to get my hands on a really good lot deal on 14 speakers, a mix of Monitor Audio C265-LCR and C265 speakers. These have recently been replaced by trim less versions so the discount was substantial.

I have enough C265LCR speakers for my 5.1 cinema room but have seen that there is also a C265-FX in their lineup which is meant for the back surround channels. Will I really hear the difference between 3xC265-LCR with 2xC265-FX instead of 5xC265LCR? Should I be looking around for any C265-fx now before they are all gone?

I have a Denon AVR3312 as the AV Receiver.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    Normal ceiling speakers are OK for rears so you will be fine with what you have got and no need to get the FX. Although I personally would not use ceiling speakers for the front 3, even with a pivoting tweeter, I feel they will be too detached from the screen with the sound coming from the wrong place. In wall speakers are a far better idea if you want a clean look.

3. art-lab

art-lab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for you comment.

Unfortunately, I have single brick walls, which makes it difficult to have in-wall speakers. And my wife wants no stands...:nono:

So the LCRs were my only option. At least, as they have 3 drivers each, they have both a teeter and mid range driver that are directional. Only the base can't be directed.

The question is more about the relative merits of the C265LCR or the C265-FX as rear surround speakers in a 5.1 setup.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    Could you not go for some onwall speakers like the Monitor Audio Radius or Apex range or even Kef T series? No stands and a much better option than in ceiling speakers.

5. art-lab

art-lab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There are couple of issues with on-wall. The screen is not sound invisible. I've found that the better screens are not. Hence the Center speaker would have to be quite low. Also, my wife say she does not want the speakers on show. I currently have a great set of Radius speakers (love them). But my wife wanted them invisible this time.

The question is more around the surround speakers.... Anyone?