1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround sound speakers, but only 2 work...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Cantona2003, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Cantona2003

Cantona2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought a new TV today with a surround sound speaker kit.

However, when I have connected it all up, all I get is the two front speakers i.e. left and right, working. The centre, and rear left and right speakers do not have any sound coming out of them.

I have tested the speakers and sound comes out of each one during the test, but when watching tv only two have sound coming out.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

2. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    check the menu's on the tv. If you are using the onboard decoder, chances are that you probably haven't enabled it or it is set wrong somewhere

RTM

Cheers

3. Cantona2003

Cantona2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard that most TV programs are broadcast in stereo and will therefore only work on 2 speakers - is that true?

4. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yip,

But if you have sky, most moves are broadcast in dolby surround i.e. DOLBY PRO LOGIC, which at least has some form of surround but not True 5.1 or dolby digital. To get that you need to play a dvd, and let your tv do the decoding, doing the job of a surround amp.

My Tv has a DTS and Dolby digtal decoder, but i don't use it. I use seperates - MUCH better !

Cheers