Surround Sound Speaker Placement using Sony HT-SF1300 or HT-SS1300 - Best Option?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by markie, Feb 2, 2009.

1. markie

markie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I am possibly going to purchase a Sony HT-SF1300 from play.com when they come back into stock.

The rear speakers will be about 2 to 2.5 metres directly behind where I'm sitting to the left and right because that's the only place I can fit them as they are on stands. Is that distance o.k. at the rear for good surround sound?

Another option (maybe less preferred) is that I could purchase the SS1300 and have these speakers (because they are much smaller with no stands) sitting on a cupboard about 2 feet behind and 2 feet to the left and on a piano (slighter higher up) about 2 feet behind and 5 feet to the right?

The front speakers would be about 4 metres from where I sit. The HT-SF1300 tallboy speakers would just fit in at the side of the TV. If I purchased the HT-SS1300, the speakers would be about 2 feet off the ground sitting on the subwoofer to the left and a table to the right.

Any idea which system would be better for me - the SF or SS? Cosmetically, I think I prefer the tallboy speakers, but would be willing to go for the other ones if people thought they'd be more suitable.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Well imho it sounds like the sf is the better option for you - the speaker placement sounds better with those, and hey - you prefer that one anyway!

Don't worry too much about exact positions - calibrating the speaker levels takes their positions and distances into account. Here's some rough guides on speaker positions:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  3. markie

markie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for the info - have now put an order in from play.com for the HF1300, even though they are temporarily out of stock.

Nowhere else seems to have these in stock below £300, unless anyone can point me in the direction of somewhere?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009