• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Surround sound set up

dankent85

Standard Member
Hi,

I'm after a bit more advice. I now have a lg lm620t which incorporates hdmi arc. My problem is I can't get it to work.

Basically, I have the tv (lg lm620t), sky hd box and Sony bdve280 home theatre system (also arc compatible).

The home theatre is connected from its hd out (arc) into the hd1 (arc) slot on tv. Blu rays surround sound work fine.

The sky box is then connected via hdmi into the tv (so I can watch sky without surround system on). Which works fine.

I also have a digital cable connection between sky hd and home theatre (for watching movies through external speakers). This also works fine.

The only thing that I can't get to work is the audio through the arc. Being a smart tv I have it set up to view all my pc media libraries. I would like to be able to listen to the music through the external speakers. However, whichever options I set on tv and home theatre I can't get the tv sound through the home theatre (it works fine through the tv speakers).

I assume there is a problem with the arc feature? Do I need a certain type of hdmi cable?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
You have to turn it on. Look for ARC or HDMI control options in the menu on both the TV and the home cinema system. Lg calls it Simplink and Sony calls it Bravia Sync.

Also make sure you have connected to the HDMI input that is marked ARC on the TV. Obviously both have to be ARC compatible. You do not need a special HDMI cable.

Word of warning - it may cause issues! If you enable ARC/HDMI control it will override sky so when you want to view sky in surround sound, as soon as you turn on the home cinema system the TV will automatically select the ARC HDMI input that the home cinema is connected to resulting in you getting sound but no picture. ARC is really only designed for people using one source.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom