1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

surround sound processer (no amplifier needed)

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by gktk, Aug 10, 2005.

1. gktk

gktk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i'm looking for a device that is able to do surround sound processing only, not looking for an integrated amp.

reason is i have mackie 824's active monitors currently as front speakers and a 2 channel amp for back speakers ..... so my amplification needs are met, just need to find a device that can do the processing.

I have looked into using the analogue 5.1 outs of DVD players but i would have no way of controlling the mackies due to no volume control on the dvd player

2. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Wrong forum - you need a processor, so this should go to "Processors & Power Amps".

Anyway - depending on your budget there's a lot to choose from! And if you look hard enogh you'll find dvd-players with volume control too!

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    As already stated it really depends on your budget. Obviously you can go second hand if you need to keep the cost down, but that really depends on what is up for grabs at the time!
    New processors start at around £1,000 for the Rotel 1068 and go up in price to say the Lexicon MC12 at over £10,000 - and prices can continue up from there :eek:

Mark.

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Moving to Processor forum :)

Dfour

5. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It is all down to how much you want to pay.

Second hand for around £400-£550 can get things like an older Meridian 565 or Rotel 1066.

Then you get to new and you really start at around £1000 rrp for the Rotel 1068, and upwards of here the sky is your limit.

It is actually a lot cheaper to buy an intergrated with pre-outs and use the pre-outs for the channels that you have power amps, or powered speakers for. It sounds a waste I know but you can get a Marantz / Yamaha Amp that is very good for around £450ish that has pre-outs for the channels and is half the price. Sounds weird but could be a way to go.

I think that the 1068 is great as a stereo preamp as well as a surround processor.

6. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I agree - if budget does not allow it's a very good solution & sell your other 2ch amp!

On the otherhand if you really want a dedicated processor the 'cheapest' one i can think of is the NAD T163 and sells for £790. It's not as refined as the Rotel pre-amps (no per channel bass management and stuff like that) but then again it is some £250 cheaper!

Note: does the power of your current 2ch amp (the one you said will be used for rears) drive your rears to match the Mackies! The 824 are quite high-spl beasts!

7. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I use a Tag AV32R to feed my Mackies (5 x HR624s). You can usually pick them up for around £1000 or less second hand. Sounds good, although I'd would like to try something like a Meridian 568.2 which I understand are a bit smoother & possibly better for music.

Rob.

8. gktk

gktk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    still early stages on deciding on what to do, at least there are quite a few options which i was not aware of, thanks everyone.

the 2chan amp is 40 watts so probably quite underpowered compared to the mackies, it's a Cymbol CA1 which has done a good job over the years but looks like i am outgrowing it. Also no remote control volume which is becoming soooo frustrating

9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    I would recommend auditioning the new Arcam AVP700, very good indeed and with full balanced outputs for all channels. It retails for £1400.

10. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think you will find that any sharpness is to do with the mackies :) No offence intended :smashin: