1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround Sound Problems

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jasbyuk, Dec 9, 2001.

1. jasbyuk

jasbyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im looking to get some rear speakers, center, and also a Yamaha DSP A5 surround amp. My confusion is this... I am also looking to get a brand new hi-fi set up, and the guy in Sevenoaks says dont use the Yamaha AV amp to run regular hi-fi components, but to get an integrated amp. So if ive got my 5 speakers connected to my AV amp, how do I use my hi-fi? Do I have to get new speakers? Sorry if that sounds a little confusing.

Also, Do I need really good quality cable for my rears, or can I get away with £1.50 p/m and have good quality stuff for the front and center?

Also also, do the 5 cables going to the front, center and rear speakers all have to be the same length, or can I have 2 metres at the front and center and 10 meters to the rear? Is it all a matter of delays and stuff?

Thanks!

-J

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    £ for £ an AV amp is not as good with music as a dedicated stereo amp as the latter only has two channnels of amplification whilst the AV amp has more plus video circuitry.

One way round the problem for music lovers is to buy a stereo amp of their choice which will drive the front two speakers plus an AV processor which will handle the centre and rears.

I use cheaper quality cable for the rears than the front three and the general consensus is that the front pair should have cable of equal length as should the rear pair.

I have seen arguments that rubbish this idea on the basis that the speed of sound is so great that the difference in length of the cable would have to be in the order of miles to make a difference.

Ian

3. jasbyuk

jasbyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! So, in theory, it might have to be laid out like this gif:

Attached Files:

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yep, you can either connect a full-fledged AV amp/receiver to the e.g. AUX input of the hifi amp or use a dedicated unit like a Yamaha DSP-E800 which is intended for this kind of setup.

BTW: The A5 has been replaced with the DSP-AX620.

5. jasbyuk

jasbyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great. Ok, yesterday I went to Birmingham and into several Hi-Fi stores. I finally got talked into going for the Eltax HT-2 rears, which are great, but dont sound that good while plugged into the 'Rear Speakers' sockets on the back of my television. So anyway, the guy said to go for the Marantz SR5200, because its fantastic.

I read in What Hi-Fi that the SR4200 is "Breathtaking - Redifines our expectations from budget multichannel kit." and gave it 5 stars ***** .

I havnt got the latest mag, and so could anyone tell me what the SR5200 is like soundwise? I know the features, but other than the one guy in that store, no one else I know can tell me if its worth paying an extra £100.

Oh yeah, my VCR (Philips £350) has left and right phonos IN and L&R phonos OUT. So, how exactly do I connect the VCR to the surround reciever and get the Dolby Digital (or whatever) that the film was recorded in? If I splash out £50 on some Ecosse Reference CA-1 and connect using those to the VCR1 Input on the reciever, will that give me digital surround sound heaven?

Sorry to be so dense.

Thanks everybody!

-J!

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will be better off just buying a power amp for the front channels, and connecting tunner (if your AV is a receiver you don´t need a tunner), and tape to the AV. If you buy a good DVD, for instance Arcam DV88 you don´t need a CD player...

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    You can connect the VCR to the amplifier with a pair of twin phono cables but the output will only be Dolby Pro Logic. Don't buy expensive cables for the VCR as it won't improve the sound by much.

Dolby Digital & DTS are only available on DVD so you will need a DVD player which you will connect to the amplifier by digital co-axial or digital optical cable for glorious 5.1 surround sound

8. jasbyuk

jasbyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats great thanks! Im gonna buy the SR5200 tomorrow so I hope its the bees knees! Ill be luggin' 28 lbs worth of metal around Worcester for nothing otherwise!

Ill probably be back on here soon with some more questions.

Thanks again Ian! Great help!

-J

9. WSC

WSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought the Marantz 5200 and am awaiting delivery. The Marantz is functionally rich for the 350 I've paid. Over and above the 4200 it has a bit more power (90w instead of 70w per channel), additional digital socketry, DTS/DD 6.1 (should it ever take on), 7 channel input allowing for SACD or similar etc. The 4200 doesn't have 6 channel input.

Tell us how you find it when its setup at home.

10. jasbyuk

jasbyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, its 11:51 PM, and me and my mate have just finished watching Broken Arrow - the last half hour, without Pro Logic II. The reason? The plug states the fuse inside be a 5 Amp, and after removing the cover, that was confirmed. However, one hour into the film, the "Breathtaking" reciever had the wind knocked out of it, after it suffered a complete loss of power. After reading the manual, we discover the required fuse should be a 13 Amp. But when tested in something else, the 5 Amp hadnt actually blown. Which means, the problem must be internal.

Why in God's name are people so stupid, as to not supply the correct fuse and plug, which was labeled 5 Amps.

Please can you all back me up, as after lugging the damn thing through Worcester (all 28 lbs of it, plus packaging) im quite annoyed.

Thanks for listening. Better luck with yours!

Mind you, when it did work, ahhh... :D

Corkin'

-J