Surround sound problem

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by doofus3000, Aug 23, 2018.

1. doofus3000

doofus3000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My PC has developed a problem with sound output, I can only select ‘stereo’ whereas before I could select anything up to 7.1 surround.

My setup is as follows: PC, Asus ROG Strix Z370-H Motherboard, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, GTX1080ti through high-speed HDMI cable to Pioneer 4K capable AV Receiver connected to 5.1 speakers, AV receiver is connected though high-speed HDMI to Panasonic 4K TV.

Up until last night all was working well, but on starting a game I noticed there was no sound, so upon checking sound setup in windows for some reason I am now only able to select ‘stereo’ instead of 5.1 as I had before.

After re-installing the nvidia drivers a couple of times without fixing the problem, I decided to do a repair of windows. Unfortunately I didn’t have restore points turned on so couldn’t roll back a few days.

Even after doing the repair to windows and reinstalling the nvidia drivers, chipset drivers etc, I can still only select stereo, very frustrating.

I don’t know what else I can do to fix it, I spent a lot on this set up and want to get back to the full surround sound experience, not crummy stereo, it’s not even 2.1.

Please help!!

2. Eddy555

Eddy555
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,915
  3. doofus3000

doofus3000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    On that screen (sound>playback) my receiver is listed, along with others such as headphones/rift audio, realtek etc. My receiver (VSX-....) is set as default playback device as normal. When I right click on the receiver and go to configure, only stereo is listed, whereas it used to have a whole load of choices including 5.1 which I always used without a problem up until now.

4. Misguided

Misguided

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I used to have a similar issue playing media from my laptop to my receiver, it was a handshake and was resolved by restarting the pc with the amp switched on and hdmi plugged in. I'm not sure that's it as the device is listed but may be worth a try.

5. doofus3000

doofus3000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I will try that, but the AV was on when the PC did many reboots last night and the problem was still there.

6. Eddy555

Eddy555
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,915
    Maybe try it with the AV off. I've had some strange issues in the past with surround speaker settings.

7. doofus3000

doofus3000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm willing to try anything, I thought reinstalling windows would do it but obviously not

8. Eddy555

Eddy555
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,915
    It does sound like some sort of autodetect issue. Maybe even try a different cable between the PC and the amp.

9. Killbill118

Killbill118

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Could be some other stuff you have installed. Or if you have more then one hdmi /DP connected to your pc graphics card?
    I had a similar situation where my one stopped showing 5.1 and will give me only stereo options.
    On some reboots 5.1 will come back. Right click on speaker icon in your task bar)
    Start by unplugging everything except for the AV and make sure your on the right zone on the AV.

Start up in safe mode if the above does not work.

I had a lot of issues happening at once so I reformatted my PC and went back to new build.

Good luck.

Thing with PCS or htpc is so many freaking things can cause bugs or issues. It’s like a coin toss. When it works it works great and nothing can touch it. When it bugs out...

10. Killbill118

Killbill118

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Is this what your getting? See my pics attached..

Attached Files:

11. doofus3000

doofus3000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes killbill that's precisely what I'm getting! Please tell me you found a fix!?

12. Killbill118

Killbill118

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Ok, keep in mind what I have may not be the same thing causing issues for you.
    My issue above is no longer an issue for me.
    Let me explain my setup and something may jump out at you.
    Room 1
    TV on wall
    5.1 sound system. Kef eggs e305s
    (That’s it. No other equipment outside some USB over cat 5 extender)

Room 2
    TV On wall
    Marantaz AVR
    HTPC
    Apple TV
    NAS units
    2.0 sound b&w cm9s
    >>>
    Speakers from room one are connected to AVR in room two.
    >>>
    AVR Zone 1
    HTPC
    APPLE TV
    TIVO ETC
    all go to Room 1 TV and sound is pumped out of 5.1

Zone 2
    IS Connected to the b&w and the room 2 TV

HTPC
    Graphics card
    HDMI 1 is connected direct to AVR
    HDMI 2 is connected direct to room 2 TV

So if I’m in room 2 and I want to play some games or do updates or whatever then I turn the HTPC on and turn on my samsung tv.

As the last time the HTPC was awake it was connected to AVR and pumping sound out at 5.1 it still is connected to the AVR.
    BUT if I know reset the HTPC while the room tv is on it will then default to 2.0 sound and 5.1 will be greyed out
    Keeping in mind my AVR is default sound device etc

If I was to turn on say zone one on the AVR and then reset the TV my sound goes back to
    5.1 etc
    While my PC is mirrored.

So to recap.
    My AVR is always connected.
    But when the picture is being pumped out the second room tv only and the AVR is not being actively used the sound goes to 2.0
    I first came across this accidentally after testing some monitor out.
    When booting into living room 1 I could get no sound and checking the audio settings it said 2.0 only.
    I freaking lost my marbles. Download new drivers, uninstalled crap. Hacked the Reg etc etc.

So Iv just come downstairs. Turned on “play game” activity. Which powers on my TV, AVR and HTPC and as the other room TV is off.
    My sound is back to 5.1

Back to my HTPC I’m using a direct HDMI TO AVR as well as display port adaptor to HDMI and then to TV in room two
    Running 980TIs in SLI

Have you just got the one hdmi going into your AVR without another monitor or TV hooked up?

13. Killbill118

Killbill118

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
  14. Killbill118

Killbill118

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Going to try and share two quick vids.
    Had to upload them to YouTube as the file was too big.
    Vid one.
    Main room 1 setup fires up with 5.1 sound.
    Everything then powered down.
    I go into room two and turn on tv AND HTPC (not AVR)
    Sound is now 2.0

15. doofus3000

doofus3000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thats a pretty sweet setup Killbill, makes mine look simple in comparison, so in theory should be simple to fix!
    Plugged into my 1080ti I have a high-speed HDMI going directly to the AVR, the only other thing plugged into it is my rift which, because the 1080ti only has 1 HDMI, is going into one of the DP ports using a DP to HDMI adaptor. This has worked fine since i got this setup about 8 months or so ago.

16. Eddy555

Eddy555
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,915
    Unplug the Rift (DP and USBs) and see if anything changes. I had issues with my setup with the Vive at times, although it's been well behaved recently, especially since the last Windows 10 update with the improved audio output pop up from the system tray.
    The biggest issues I had were back when I had a non-4K amp and was using 1 HDMI output to send sound to the amp and 1 HDMI to send 4K to the TV. The audio config was forever getting confused. This should be the case for you though.

17. Killbill118

Killbill118

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Agree. Trying going direct to your AV and have nothing else plugged in.

Also click on your desktop and press ctrl and F4
    Use shutdown and reset from this window.

The shutdown and reset options from clicking on the windows icon bottom left of your screen is no longer actual shut down or reset. Long story..

18. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    One other thing to check is go into device manager and look under sound controllers for the HDMI audio output thats being used.

Bring up the driver properties and look at who is the "driver provider" it should be Nvidia, if it's not and it's Microsoft that could explain why the system has lost anything beyond stereo.

19. doofus3000

doofus3000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK, just tried each of the suggestions above:
    1. Unplug Rift, only thing connected the graphics card is the HDMI going to the AVR.
    2. Make sure AV is on first, set to 'game' (the port the pc is plugged into). Then turn pc on.
    Result: No change, still only stereo selectable.
    3. Opposite of above, pc on first, then AV.
    4. Check device manager under sound, video and game controllers, 3 entries are there: NVIDIA High Definition Audio, NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM), and Realtek High Definition Audio.
    Checked the 'Driver Provider' on each Nvidia one, both listed as Nvidia. Tried the update driver button on each.

I'm now completely at a loss. The only other thing I can think of is to connect the AV through the DisplayPort with an HDMI to displayport adaptor, instead of using the HDMI port. I'll report back if this works, but not holding my breath.

20. Killbill118

Killbill118

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Damn.
    Give this a try.
    Download the audio and video drivers.
    Disable driver auto install (remember to re enable it after if it works)
    Uninstall GeForce experience including driver
    Uninstall audio driver
    Reboot.
    Install audio driver
    Install video card driver only (not GeForce)
    Reboot and making sure you are only hooked into AVR see if you get the surround option.
    Do you use kodi or powerdvd? Could you have changed the audio options or played around in that?

Once apon a time of installing kodi and shark codes I really screwed up my audio drivers...

I wonder if booting in safe mode fixes this?
    If it does then it’s some software conflict..

How to disable auto driver install

1. Right click the Start button and select Control Panel.
    2. 2. Make your way to System and Security.
    3. Click System.
    4. Click Advanced system settings from the left sidebar.
    5. Select the Hardware tab.
    6. Press the Device Installation Settings button.
    7. Choose No, and then press the Save Changes button.

Good luck man. I’m rooting for you. Hopefully you can fix it without nuking your pc!

21. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    There's an old thread over here dealing with this issue keep mind this is from several years back, the person over there was making custom EDID's for people to over-ride the one detected in Windows so you could force the audio formats not detected to be supported.

It seems most of the issues were taken care of in time via updates to drivers/windows but it still includes some interesting workarounds one of which is for buggy EDID detection with Nvidia, it's worth a try at least.

One other last resort option is enable the onboard Intel graphics and use the motherboards HDMI output as the audio out if it allows PCM 5.1 output that is.

22. doofus3000

doofus3000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Tried connecting the AV to the 1080ti's displayport with an hdmi to displayport adaptor and . . . . It worked! 5.1 was back as an option, everything working as it did before. I guess the hdmi port on the card might be malfunctioning? Only problem is dolby Atmos for headphones has now decided to stop working! Can't win em all I guess!

23. Killbill118

Killbill118

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    That’s epic!
    Now are you the kind of guy who’s going to keep tinkering to figure out the issues with the HDMI port or you going to let it be and enjoy that awesome machine!
    If your using it on a TV check out launch box.
    It’s the GUI that kicks in on my first video.
    A lot of people use it for playing old classics and Roms.

24. shrimpbing

shrimpbing
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The volume setting for one or more sound devices might be disabled or set too low. There are several things that can change sound volume: the volume control knob for your speakers or monitor, Windows volume controls, and volume controls in sound software. If any of these volume controls are muted or set too low, the entire sound experience is affected.

If you are using speakers built into your monitor, make sure sound is enabled for the monitor and volume is set to halfway. Adjust the sound settings for your monitor by using the buttons on the monitor and/or the on-screen menu. To find more specific information about using and adjusting your monitor speaker settings, see the support documentation that came with your monitor.