Surround sound on Sky

andymc

Established Member
Reaction score
I may be being a vegetable here but would love someone to explain this to me!
When I am watching TV through my Sky+ box my amp shows that I am getting a digital signal for the left and right channels.(My Sky + box is connected to my Amp using an optical lead)

When a film comes on which I know is Surround encoded or Dolby nothing changes - I thought BBC/ITV etc were broadcasting all this info????? E.g. - Goldeneye was on the other night and nothing happened. It sounded like all was okay but my amp detected nothing different even though it sounded different...

Help:confused:

Andy C

Sky transmit in in 48khz stereo except for Sky Movies Premier 1,2 and 3 - which broadcast in Dolby Digital.
Your amp will receive a stereo signal from the Sky+ box and decode it into DPL/II/Neo6 - whatever you have selected.
If you choose any of those movie channels, you will see the signal change from 2 channel to 2, 3, 4 or 5 - depending on what they are broadcasting at the time...

BTW, the radio stations are broadcast in 48khz stereo as well...which makes DAB 37KHZ seem like cassette tape - and is even (slightly) better than CD...

Originally posted by Army Bloke

BTW, the radio stations are broadcast in 48khz stereo as well...which makes DAB 37KHZ seem like cassette tape - and is even (slightly) better than CD...

Time to upgrade your CD player then mate.

Adz

Originally posted by Spligsey
Time to upgrade your CD player then mateAdz
There's actually nothing wrong with my CD player thanks. What I was implying was that the bitrate of the radio stations from Sky Digital is higher than CD...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom