Surround sound on Sky

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by andymc, Oct 1, 2003.

1. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I may be being a vegetable here but would love someone to explain this to me!
    When I am watching TV through my Sky+ box my amp shows that I am getting a digital signal for the left and right channels.(My Sky + box is connected to my Amp using an optical lead)

When a film comes on which I know is Surround encoded or Dolby nothing changes - I thought BBC/ITV etc were broadcasting all this info????? E.g. - Goldeneye was on the other night and nothing happened. It sounded like all was okay but my amp detected nothing different even though it sounded different...

Help:confused:

Andy C

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Possibly you need to manuall change your amp for DD5.1 and back again to stereo PL2 etc for normal broadcasts.

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky transmit in in 48khz stereo except for Sky Movies Premier 1,2 and 3 - which broadcast in Dolby Digital.
    Your amp will receive a stereo signal from the Sky+ box and decode it into DPL/II/Neo6 - whatever you have selected.
    If you choose any of those movie channels, you will see the signal change from 2 channel to 2, 3, 4 or 5 - depending on what they are broadcasting at the time...

BTW, the radio stations are broadcast in 48khz stereo as well...which makes DAB 37KHZ seem like cassette tape - and is even (slightly) better than CD...

4. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Time to upgrade your CD player then mate.

Adz

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's actually nothing wrong with my CD player thanks. What I was implying was that the bitrate of the radio stations from Sky Digital is higher than CD...