1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround sound on freeview?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by stevedster, Oct 19, 2005.

1. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    do any channels have this? just wondering if its worth connecting optical lead up or just use standard interconnects to my amp ??

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    if you can connect optical then why not, if something is broadcast( and it will in the future)why not be prepared???

3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You'll get surround from any pro-logic decoder from Freeview as Dolby Surround is matrixed into the stereo audio and so if your amp is in Pro-logic mode it'll process everything as surround. Therefore you don't even need a digital audio connection to your amp - just the bare minimum of a stereo connection.

While a number of Freeview boxes claim to support Dolby Digital (which would theoretically allow everything from 1.0 to 5.1 etc), it's highly unlikely that we'll ever have DD on Freeview.

4. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    hmmm, thanks for the responses, think i will get an optical cable tho, as my tv is a pio436 plasma so its more than just the freeview, eg, when i get new xbox it will use the sametv audio out connection, and some of the newer games are 5.1 i believe. my dvd player will be plugged into the amp seperately with another digi cable.

5. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Why aren't you just connecting all your audio sources straight into your amp anyway? The current Xbox has an optical audio output on the Advanced Scart connector (and the HDTV connector to IIRC) so there's no need to route via the TV (and IIRC pretty much all the current generation of Xbox games are 5.1 now)