1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround sound level setting

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by konghh, Feb 11, 2002.

1. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to AV and got this conflicting advise. My Yamaha RX-V596 clearly states that all sound volume from all 5 speakers should be the same when using the test tone. But others were telling me that the sound volume from the rear should only be softer (40%) than the front (60%). My logic tells me to follow the Yamaha manual because when playing movies, the final sound volume should be set by the software. So which one should I set then?

thanks

2. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as i understand it all levels should be set to the same volume with the test tone (from the listening position) although because of more information always being sent to the front they will always sound louder with a film than the rears

hope this helps

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What you need to do is use a SPL (Sound Pressure Level) meter and adjust all channels to the same volume level at the listening/seating position.
    Your ears are not sensitive enough to do this so a SPL meter is to be used.

Of course you can do the final tweaking according to your likings/preference but as you say the SW should define the actual level as intended by the sound technician though you might notice differences in different movies as there is no standard for the actual volumes used.

4. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    O.K., I got the right idea now. Thanks to all.

5. stefaan

stefaan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the level of the SW.
    Surely it shouldn't be the same as the other channels - if I would try to do that, I think my house wouldn't survive it :).
    Any suggestions ?

6. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The subwoofer level should be set to the same volume as the rest of the speakers. It's very difficult to get an accurate reading on an SPL when measuring the volume of the LFE/sub. The best way to do it is to get the metre to as near 75db as possible then walk from side to side along the back of the listening position and adjust the volume until the needle stays in the same place while you are walking. Quite a task I can tell you but well worth the effort in the end.