Surround sound layout + multi zone layout help

keaton

Novice Member
Hello,
New here and I'm looking for suggestions on a surround sound layout + multi zone layout.
See the attached house plan.
orange = couch & chair.
Green = what I'm thinking for a 5.1.4 system
blue = multi zone ceiling speakers i would like to add.

for the 5.1.4 system I would like to go with in wall speakers & in ceiling speakers. problem I think I will have is my ceiling is vaulted and my side channels would have to be up high pointing down or a book shelf on a pole. also not finding ceiling speaker boxes that can tilt to adjust for the angle of the speaker to keep them pointed down. Subwoofer is the purple box, i would be cutting a hole in the wall with a screen to have it pointed into the room. That closet is where all of the electronics would live or currently live.

for the multi zone i was looking at the monoprice brand 6 zone stereo zone controller (Monoprice 6 Zone Home Audio Multizone Controller and Amplifier Kit, NO LOGO - Monoprice.com). I would like to be able to play music all over the house at once. Z5 & Z6 would be for the patio and the pool speakers. part of the reason i was also looking at this zone controller is that it has a UART interface and i can use that to tie into my home automation for controls

for the general ceiling speakers I'm look at these in the 8" config: (don't tilt to account for vaulted ceiling)

for the bathroom i was thinking one of these in each since they are stereo with 1 per zone:

not sure if I should also put ceiling speakers in the bedrooms or not.

open to suggestions and inputs.

thanks,
Keaton

Attachments

• Speaker Idea.png
    Speaker Idea.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 20

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Sorry I can't help with the Monoprice in ceiling/wall speakers as we don't get them over here.

However Monoprice have started to become available in Europe/UK in the last 6 months and I was fortunate enough to get a full set of their THX Ultra 365T/365C/265S speakers in October last year and have to say these speakers are awesome for what they cost.

If their other speakers are anywhere near as good I am sure you will not be disappointed.

You have not mentioned a subwoofer, their THX subwoofers are pretty epic and the 12"and 15" are particularly good subs you will need more than one though to cover all your bases. I suspect that subs would only be needed in the main living area and just do without in bedrooms bathrooms etc.

keaton

Novice Member
Sorry I can't help with the Monoprice in ceiling/wall speakers as we don't get them over here.

However Monoprice have started to become available in Europe/UK in the last 6 months and I was fortunate enough to get a full set of their THX Ultra 365T/365C/265S speakers in October last year and have to say these speakers are awesome for what they cost.

If their other speakers are anywhere near as good I am sure you will not be disappointed.

You have not mentioned a subwoofer, their THX subwoofers are pretty epic and the 12"and 15" are particularly good subs you will need more than one though to cover all your bases. I suspect that subs would only be needed in the main living area and just do without in bedrooms bathrooms etc.
Thanks for the input, I'm open to other selections other than the monoprice brands. was looking at those because of the serial interface so i can control them remotely & with openHAB. you are correct on the subwoofer. I was going to put 1 in the house and just deal with it that way and have the ceiling speakers for everything else.

any recommendations on other speakers for the ceiling and the zone groupings would be appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom