1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround sound issue with Sky 1 and Telewest

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by waysted_uk, Sep 25, 2002.

1. waysted_uk

waysted_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi,

Just noticed tonight that I don't get any surround sound from Sky 1 on Telewest.

Checked about 10 other channels and they all provide surround sound but Sky 1 appears to be a Mono track.

Anybody else noticed this?

Since I'm getting surround sound info on other channels that should rule out the telewest box, the connections and the Surround sound Amp.

The program I was watching was the new series of Stargate which was always broadcast in in Stereo sound in the past and all the adverts also appeared to be mono.

Any ideas??

I'm located in Edinburgh in case this is just a local issue.

Mark...

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'll check sky 1 NTL when I can kick the kids off, but you're probably right. The only prog it's used for here is pokemon in the AM, and I have to shut myself in the bog and bang my head on the wall to avoid knawing my own limbs off while it's on, so I haven't noticed what it sounds like... There are a couple of mono channels we get, so it would only be slightly surprising.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I get stereo pokemon this AM, very distressing, but definately getting pro logic out of it so it must be stereo. That's NTL down south, so it's not a sky1 prob, try asking telewest? Generally they have no clue about this kind of thing though...

4. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    How are you getting the audio signal out of the box? I used to have Telewest cable and I found that I got stereo/PL from the phono outputs on the back of the box, but I only ever got mono from the antenna connection. That would affect all your channels though.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's right, nicam is not used by cable co's so stereo from RF is impossible. Many do not output stereo from the phonos either, but only via scart! As you say, it would affect all reception.

6. waysted_uk

waysted_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Checked it again this morning and it still seems like a mono signal.

Thanks for the other ideas. The telewest box is connected via the left/right phono sockets to the denon amp but I have also tried it via the scart socket to the video then taking the left/right phono from the video but the problem is still the same. As you say, if it was related to the connection it should effect all channels.

I'll leave it to later today and if its still the same I'll give Telewest a phone but I don't believe I'll have much luck with them.

Thanks

Mark

7. waysted_uk

waysted_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Had a quick check tonight and the surround sound/stereo signal is back.

I'll keep an eye (or ear) on it to see what happens in the next few weeks....