Surround Sound Input Issue(s)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by doedeer, Feb 20, 2013.

1. doedeer

doedeer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I have recently purchased a Pioneer HTP071 5.1 home cinema system to accompany my Toshiba TV and Panasonic Blue ray. In addition to the blu ray i have a Sky HD box which i have connected both via HDMI inputs to the AV receiver...with one output to the TV.

The sound when watching a DVD/Blu ray is great and I have no complaints there. However (as I am new to this) i am a bit confused regarding the sound from the Sky box.

I am yet to lay my hands on an optical cable which I am advised I will need in order to achieve optimum results from the Sky HD channels. But i am still getting sound from all 5 speakers and the Sub when selecting some options (such as 'EXT.STEREO') on the av receiver. This is even possible when not on a HD channel. Does this constitute surround sound? I guess not?

My other query i guess would require knowledge of the HTP071 or other Pioneer systems I guess. I have tried to find out how to assign the optical input to the Sky HD input (which i believe is what is required to gain HD surround) and have hit a brick wall :facepalm:. Doesnt seem to be mentioned in the instructions and i cant work it out from the remote. Can anyone tell me how its done? Might be a long shot....

Thanks guys

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    If you are getting stereo sound from the Sky box into your amp then the amp can process this into 5.1 channels. It isn't the same as 5.1 Dolby digital (which is what you will get on some programs once you sort your optical cable) but it is a form of surround sound. If the amp is set to Dolby Pro Logic (II or other versions) then you will get a surround effect depending on the way the program is mixed/recorded.

It can often be quite effective and was all we had back before DVD anyway: 15 years ago I was delighted to be able to watch 'ordinary' TV in Dolby Pro Logic this way. Some TV series like 'The Simpsons' are recorded so that the surround effect can be 'decoded' by Dolby Pro Logic (there is a 'credit' at the end of the program that states this), so the effect can be almost as a good as DVD.

I've no idea how you will select the optical input on your amp, so will be a question to ask your dealer if you can't find out from the manual. Even then many programs won't be in DD 5.1 anyway, so you'll have the same effect as now for those stereo broadcasts.

3. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    You do need an optical cable to get 5:1 audio when a programme happens to be carrying it, and you can get one anywhere for very little.
    Assignment is the usual way but this machine is different - page 18 of the manual explains that you use the remote to select the HDMI first and then to select the optical audio input.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013