• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Surround Sound Help

AWinch

Standard Member
Well, I am looking at getting a new tv and new 5.1 surround sound setup, the tv will be the LG 50PS3000. It has 3 HDMI, and 1 Optical Out.

Now i am really new to this and don't have an idea about connecting Virgin Media OR Sky (can't decide as i have virgin downstairs) to the AV amplifier or all in one system however i doubt there will be one with enough inputs. I would also like a DVD/BLUE RAY player as well as a PS3.

I understand that PS3 will need optical out and so will the Sky direct to the box, but what other connections do i need to make, and how do i make sure that when the channel is turned over from say virgin to PS3 that the surround sound will to likewise?

Is there any way i can have Prologic 2 or something similar to make everything seem 5.1?

Any actual products would also be great for the cheapest price...

Thanks

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What is your budget?
Since you have a PS3 you will not need a DVD/bluray player straight away since this can do it all.
If you get an amp that does audio over HDMI you will only need to connect the PS3 to the amp via a HDMI to get full HD sound. The sky box, as you say, will need an optical or coax connection to the amp to get surround sound.
As an example of price the cheapest new HD amp is the Onkyo 507 at £250. You will need a 5.1 speaker set to go with this amp. These start at around £150 (Tannoy FX) but around £200 is worth spending (Tannoy SFX) abd a popular combination.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Just optical to get sound. If you want to use the amp to switch video sources to the TV (so only have one HDMI from amp to TV) then you will need to connect the HDMI as well. My Sky box is connected straight to the TV via a HDMI and then the optical to the amp.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom