Surround sound headset help

Discussion in 'PS4 Hardware' started by Wingsurfer, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Right then folks, I'm in the market for a good quality surround sound headset. The thing is, I would want 2 - one for me & another for my partner for when we are etching films. I used to have a pair of sharkoon x-tactic v2's, the SCU had two output ports for two pairs of headphones but it seems like nobody stock these anymore. Are there any others? Looking for actual surround sound rather than virtual, must be good sound quality & ideally use an optical connection.

Thanks

2. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    I've seen the official sony 7.1 wireless ones for £63 on hduk, I'm assuming these would use Bluetooth for connection, can the ps4 output to two bt devices at the same time?

3. Darth_terra

Darth_terra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +957
    they are not bluetooth they use a USB dongle to receive the wireless signal hence why we all had to wait for the 1.60 update released today for them to work even the new model due on the 10th Feb uses the dongle.

4. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Thank you. Do you think that 2 can be used at the same time?

5. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,325
    I've got the Creative 'Sound Blaster Recon3D external sound card with wireless card and the Omega wireless headphones.'

This is an external sound card that has optical input (and regular stereo 3.5mm jack input) and requires no mains power as it runs off USB. Then you can either connect any pair of headphones via the 3.5mm jack or you can use the wireless card and use the dedicated Creative wireless headphones.

In your case I see no reason why the wireless connection would not support two sets of headphones or, alternatively, that a 2-way splitter could not be connected to the 3.5mm output should you want to use other, non-wireless headphones.

The card supports DD 7.1 and the wireless headphones support chat.

You can connect the sound card to your PC and there's a multitude of settings to tinker with.

I've got it set-up with a four-way optical switch. My PS4, 360, Sky and WDTV Live Hub all feed into the optical switch box, then I have one free optical output cable that goes into the Creative card and I just switch between sources. I power the card from my 360's USB regardless of which source I'm switched too. The WiiU doesn't have optical output so for this I just use a lead from my amps headphone jack and this goes to the cards 3.5mm input.

It's very versatile as you can use it with consoles but also with your PC as it'll override your PC's internal card. And as I've mentioned I use it with Sky too. I've even used it with my Vita both with wired headphones and the wireless ones.

Here's a review:

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3D Omega review | T3

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  6. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Thanks, a little pricey though, especially considering I want to buy two

7. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Head is spinning from looking at which to buy. I've got £65 on a game gift card, I know game are expensive but the credit has got to be used at some point. Anyway, it doesn't look like I am able to use two headsets at the same time, not within my price range anyway. I can see from the image of the Sharkoon S7's that the SCU now only has one port to plug the HS cable into, instead of the 2 ports that the X-Tactic V2 had.

Just now looking for general advice on which to get. My specifications are:
    Optical input so I can also use them with my TV and good quality surround sound. I would like to use the Game credit on them, so with the £65 I have I can go up to about £140-£150 max. What would you folks recommend?

I know I've said that I would like to buy a pair form game but if any of the ones that can be recommended are significantly cheaper elsewhere, or not available in Game I will buy them from elsewhere.

Something else, just for info really. Rather than messing about at the back of my ps4 & with the sound settings I was thinking of just keeping them connected to my TV, would this still carry the same sound quality as if they were connected to PS4? If it helps, my tv is a LG 47lm620t

Cheers folks

8. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,325
    I've had to put mine up for sale in the classifieds now.

9. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Thanks but in the end I found a traded in (but prestine) Turtle Beach x-ray in game for £99 & went for that