Surround Sound Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by flib1, Aug 4, 2013.

1. flib1

flib1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Howdy, I'd like a little help as I'm getting myself a little confused (not difficult) about surround sound and headphones.

I've decided to go for headphones as I sometimes stay up and watch films or play games after kiddies have gone to bed, and I find I have to turn the sound down so low that I lose dialogue and have to watch with subtitles on.

So I purchased a pair of Tritton ax720 headphones and tried them with the xbox and it was brilliant (tried with Far Cry 3), you can pick out which directions things are coming from it's great. But there's a couple of problems. Firstly I will need headphones for the xbox and blue ray player and they each have an optical out which goes to the receiver, but the headphones have their own optical in to a little headphone amp which will mean a few splitters to get a connection from each source to both the headphone amp and receiver.
    The other problem is that the Trittons are supposed to be Dolby 5.1 surround or something, but when playing Blu-rays through them if the sound output is DTS you get absolutely nothing. Dolby output is fine, but not DTS.

So I'm selling the Trittons and thinking a more elegant solution is to just plug a set of headphones into the receiver when needed (the receiver is a Pioneer VSX-C501). After reading around I'm thinking of getting the Sennheiser HD 598s. But my real question is whether I'll get a good surround sound effect from the receiver? Will I be able to pick up what directions things are coming from, or do you only get that effect from dedicated gaming headphones, with their own decoders/amps? That sort of thing. I don't have any headphones to plug into my receiver to test it.
    Thankyou for your patience.
    Dan

2. mattski73

mattski73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    A long time ago in a galaxy far away .... I tried the old HD595's with the then Sennheiser surround sound headphone processor, and I didn't think it worked that well. I can't see/hear how buying much the same headphones (simply revised) will improve the situation.

You need to be true to yourself. If you know you're simply desiring to have better quality with movies and most of all music, and are willing to comprise, then go for the HD598's. Personally, I'd always choose the Alessandro MS-1's over the midrange Sennhesier HD's, because they cost far less and they sound far better, but that's just me.

I don't know why in the UK we insist on throwing bucket loads of money at inferior audio products/headphones when there are true bargains to be had. The MS-1's will seriously challenge the 598, but at nearly a third of the price!

Alessandro High-End Products

Sorry I can't be of more help